Dick Smith System 80

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Dick Smith System 80

Postby 3pcedev on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 am

Hi all,

Went looking for the old Dick Smith System 80 that I used as a kid only to find it has been thrown away. Luckily I still have the Dick Smith monitor, documentation and some sort of OS (possibly CP/M or similar) on floppy disk to suit.

As such I am looking for a System 80 - ideally one from the generation that had the VU meter with the tape deck but I will consider anything.

I also require (I know this is a tall order but the original was fully kitted out)
- Expansion unit
- Floppy Drive

Condition: I am open to anything at this point. I am an electrical engineer by trade so I can repair most things that aren't completely helpless (i.e. severe water damage or severe mice damage).

Located in Australia but happy to pay postage from NZ (or anywhere else). Let me know if you have some/all the above and hopefully my modest budget will be able to cover it.

Thanks - Matthew.
3pcedev

Re: Dick Smith System 80

Postby 3pcedev on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Well I managed to find a System 80 Mark II Business computer on eBay. As usual it was untested and sold AS-IS. I luckily stayed up till after 2AM on a weeknight watching the auction. It ended up costing me a lot more than a complete working IBM 5150 system with monitor.....

Unfortunately it doesn't have the expansion unit or any disk drives to go with it. As such I am still on the lookout for those items in any condition.

Also if people are interested I will post up some photo's when it arrives next week. I plan to pull it apart before powering up; I prefer to check everything (especially the PSU) before something blows up.
3pcedev

Re: Dick Smith System 80

Postby tezza on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Ecellent! I'll be interested to see the photos and see how things go.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Items Wanted