OS9

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

OS9

Postby Deigh on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

I put this question to this forum a couple of months ago, didn't get any really satisfactory replies but

just then my internet connection crashed and I've only just got back into communicating. I'm therefore

throwing the question again and hoping for replies.........

I'm like my computers, long in tooth! I have been using a Powerbook 190 to drive my midi music setup

which provides rhythm backing for my guitar playing. My latest powerbook is dying and I've run out of

organ replacement parts so have decided to upgrade to G3, yes, I did say upgrade!

Now, I've got hold of a white G3 which has a couple of keys missing but those can easily be replaced.

What the main problem is that trying to set it up to accept a Yamaha UX16 interface, the whole

computer crashed. I managed to re-install the OSX 10.3.5 from discs supplied by the seller of the G3,

but I'm stumped trying to re-build the OS9 (Classic) which is essential to my Encore music program

and OMS. I have no discs and after several days searching have been unable to find anything workable

on the internet.

What I badly need is the loan or purchase of a OS9 installation disc, and am resorting to this forum to

try and locate one. I'm prepared to pay for a copy if neccessary.

Can anyone help?
Deigh Davies :roll:
Deigh

Re: OS9

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm

I only have an ISO file, but I burnt it and successfully used it for installing OS9 on various Macs around my house. You can obtain it easily by doing a search using Google or Bing, searching for 'Mac OS 9.2.2 ISO' or 'Mac OS 9.2.2 DMG' will net you the product you desire.

Please note that if you're going to install 9.2.2 it needs to go on your Mac BEFORE you install OS X. If it's present before the OS X installation then you'll be able to successfully have functional Classic mode too. Being a G3, I strongly advise using the latest version of OS X you have at your disposal and installing as much RAM as physically possible. If your G3 is equipped with FireWire then your maximum will be 10.4.11 Tiger, if it's non-FireWire then it'll be 10.3.9 Panther.

The reason I suggest going as new as you can is because Apple have this tendency to drop support for things like a hot potato. As it is, there's fewer and fewer current web browsers supporting OS X Tiger let alone previous versions.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby Deigh on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for that reply, will have another search of internet to find the apps you mentioned. Have spent many hours chasing dead ends recently and had given it up and turned to writing to this forum to solve problem.
Regards
Deigh
Deigh

Postby Deigh on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks for that reply but it did not succeed, found a large file of 100 pages with lots of things to be downloaded. needed to have a search engine but there wasn't one and it would take all day to go through them all.
got any other ideas?
Deigh :(
Deigh

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Bam!

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4836017/ ... d_with_bz2)

Just in case this is your first time I'll run through the procedure.

If you have anything on the G3 as it is, time to remove it. Burn a copy of OS 9 from the image I just linked you before you get too far into things.
For my personal PPC Macs, I have a 5GB partition per OS and the rest of the space is set aside for storage; choose your own partitioning to suit your tastes.
Partition your drive using Disk Utility on the OS X Install media since it lets you use both the old Classic and newer OS X partition types.
Install OS 9 on one partition and once that's done, update it to 9.2.2 - I can't find any solid 9.2.2 direct images online at the moment.
From there install your choice of OS X to the second partition - on my iBook I run OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, but choose the highest your hardware can run.

That's really all there is to it. Go forth and have fun!
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

pulling it down now... My blueberry thanks you. The modern (mind-blogglingly bloated) Linux was a painful experience
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Blueberry... an iMac G3? I run an iBook G3 SE 466FW in Key Lime as my PPC of choice, it's a little sweetheart.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Yeah, an iMac G3. My main machine is my employer's. (a Thinkpad T420... good machine.)

The iMac was a recent donation and I was keen to try PPC linux. Falls into the "it works, but not pleasantly" category.

It's tempting to think that with linux you can make any viable machine a "usable" workstation, but PPC linux is a funny place to be. All the "everyday" proprietary stuff like chrome, flash etc has OS-X versions and Linux versions but not Linux PPC versions and there's no source to recompile. ... and I don't need another "Linux Router". So MacOS is going back on. :)
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I know what you mean, tried multiple Ubuntu distributions on my iBook with mixed results. The main Ubuntu distribution didn't even have working power management which blew my mind as allegedly, the iBook was the test mule for that distribution.

Debian PPC however worked good... same dilemma though. No support and better off with x86 for Linux, hence my present OS9/OSX setup.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:38 am

Not to mention that "something" has happened to linux in the last few years... once upon a time, when push came to shove, you could run Linux on a 386/486 with 4MB of RAM, 16MB and it ran x-windows quite well... Now a 450MHz PPC with 256MB of RAM can barely INSTALL it?

PFFFT!!! They've lost their way.
Gibsaw

Return to Vintage Items Wanted