Complete & Very Tidy Acorn Risc PC for sale

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Complete & Very Tidy Acorn Risc PC for sale

Postby RonTurner on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

caluser2000 wrote:The photo of the battery is nice and clear. Well done.

Its the only Acorn in the world that doesn't have a leaky battery :lol:

What you can see on the side of the battery and PSU are actually reflections from the components

If it doesn't sell I will look for a 586 CPU and and put Windows 98se on it I guess, oh and replace the battery !
Its a good thing its got 64 mb RAM 4 or 8 would be crippling.

Bet you didn't know I have built an IBM PC rocket-ship, its six slices high (actually 6 identical Cyclone 586 233Mhz computers)
and has a mini bake/grill oven and twin sandwich toaster on top and 19 inch LED monitor. Its the IBM-PC answer to the rocket ship.

(will try and put up a photo some time if anyone is interested)
Last edited by RonTurner on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonTurner

Postby caluser2000 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 pm

RonTurner wrote:
caluser2000 wrote:The photo of the battery is nice and clear. Well done.

Its the only Acorn in the world that doesn't have a leaky battery :lol:

What you can see on the side of the battery and PSU are actually reflections from the components

If it doesn't sell I will look for a 586 CPU and and put Windows 98se on it I guess, oh and replace the battery !
What did ester7 actually say?
Don't know if they're still contactable, but you might get lucky http://www.webmonster.co.nz/ro_hardware/cpu.html
Julian replaced the batteries as a matter of course.
Last edited by caluser2000 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby RonTurner on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 pm

He really really wished it was maxed out spec.

Want Fast , Get Mac.
Last edited by RonTurner on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 pm

RonTurner wrote:He doesn't agree with the price, and really really wished it was maxed out spec.

<troll mode on>Doesn't that describe most of this conversation? :) </troll mode off>
RonTurner wrote:Want Fast , Get Mac.

The pendulum has possibly swung that way at this exact moment in time... but you won't get your soul back. :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby RonTurner on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Gibsaw wrote:The pendulum has possibly swung that way at this exact moment in time... but you won't get your soul back. :)

At this moment in time, suddenly this is very relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI
RonTurner

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:16 am

RonTurner wrote:
Gibsaw wrote:The pendulum has possibly swung that way at this exact moment in time... but you won't get your soul back. :)

At this moment in time, suddenly this is very relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI

Yeah the only problem is these days is that Apple is the guy on the screen :P
I like Mac OS X, but not enough to buy in to a line of PC hardware made by a single manufacturer.

Edit for on-topic sake: When I had my original A4000, I used to see these advertised with the 486 cards and drool, it did seem like the ultimate solution - you got Windows in a Window - reminds me of a bad Xzibit meme. Nice machine!
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby caluser2000 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Nice to see the co-processor slot filled. Showing it boot to dos in the PC software should garner more interest. The cool thing is these beasties read/write to x86 and Atari formatted disk without any extra software just booting from the roms. Of course you should mention its constructed of high impact resilient plastic. Don't mention the special paint inside is useless a providing any sheilding though ;) If it helps "Acorn RIscPC PC700 c/w 486SXL co-processor card" would be a more accurate description .

Found Dave Holdens article on modding a tower case http://www.apdl.co.uk/riscworld/volume6 ... /index.htm He's still a prominent poster over at Acorn Arcade and does still sell these machines.
Last edited by caluser2000 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
caluser2000

Postby mrad01 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:I like Mac OS X, but not enough to buy in to a line of PC hardware made by a single manufacturer.

I build my own hardware and put OSX on it. Best of both. My latest frankenstein is the fastest PC I could build - all sitting in a old PowerMac G5 tower. Looks the part - goes like stink.
mrad01

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Plus there is a certain amount of evil joy in building a "hackintosh", since Apple are so sensitive about licensing. :)
Gibsaw

Postby manuka on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Plus there is a certain amount of evil joy in building a "hackintosh", since Apple are so sensitive about licensing. :)

Heh, I building a Hackintosh at the moment, It reminds me of installing Linux around 10 years ago, It kinda works post install, then spending the next few days tracking down the various hacks and work arounds to get everything else working. Two days so far and all the hardware is now working and the last think left is to be able to log onto the app store, then I'll be updating to Mavericks which will no doubt break a whole bunch of stuff.
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby caluser2000 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Free shipping was a nice idea. As it's closed we can now see Estars comments. Nothing too traumatic at all. Personally I can't understand why Gavin had them hidden for the period of the auction though. Estars comments about running Win 3.x and 95 aren't too far off the mark either in my experience running Windows on RiscPCs with various x86 cards and ARM cpu types. His comment about little value would depend on what a prospective buyer intends to do with it though. Matter of ones treasure being another mans trash I guess.
caluser2000

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I agree with Gavin. Both the Acorn AND the 486 are vintage at this point. No, it's not going to run Windows 9. Neither will an Apple IIe. What's his point? It's like arguing about which PPC accelerator will run AmigaOS 4 in an A4000.

It's a bit silly, when the platform has only historical relevance. :)

Maybe the price is a little high... I don't really know the value of these boxen... but "$50, years ago" is hardly relevant. Otherwise I'd be telling Gavin to give me his IIe's for free like I gave mine away in the late 90's. :)
Gibsaw

Postby caluser2000 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Gibsaw wrote:I agree with Gavin. Both the Acorn AND the 486 are vintage at this point. No, it's not going to run Windows 9. Neither will an Apple IIe. What's his point? It's a bit silly, when the platform has only historical relevance. :)

Maybe the price is a little high... I don't really know the value of these boxen... but "$50, years ago" is hardly relevant. Otherwise I'd be telling Gavin to give me his IIe's for free like I gave mine away in the late 90's. :)
I've got no problems with Gavins comments about Acorns and 486s being considered vintage. Hell that's my prefered machine base after all ;) If Also agree with "years ago" not being terribly helpful and a reason I didn't bother to go that route in the first listing. Gavins "rocket ship" comment was rather drama queenish though. At least we did get a decent description of what was on offer.
caluser2000

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35 pm

caluser2000 wrote:... comment was rather drama queenish though. At least we did get a decent description of what was on offer.

Speaking of drama queens. Yes, you think Gavin's asking too much and wanted a "decent description". It's pretty well detailed now, so let's move on from that, eh? :wink:
Gibsaw

Postby caluser2000 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Aww, just when when things were getting interesting :lol:
caluser2000

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me