CONCERNED : C64 on TM - is this seller legitimate?

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

CONCERNED : C64 on TM - is this seller legitimate?

Postby kevman3d on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Just a quick observation for anybody who's seen this listing:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-855640072.htm

Does anybody know this seller?

I'm a little dubious - the seller joined Trademe last month (and has one feedback, which was a message about a tracking number from a seller) and both his photo's are taken from different online websites and not of his actual machine. (http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72882 and https://coronax.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/trivial-communications/) Whether this means its just that he just needed some general piccies, or that there's something else going on... Or perhaps original photo's would indicate stolen goods. I shouldn't make assumptions on this person, but it is suspicious and I'd hate to think someone's had their gear stolen and its being listed on TM.

In fact, I found out that ALL of his listings are using photo's from other websites. That's kinda concerning...

Is this something worth bringing up with Trademe?
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: CONCERNED : C64 on TM - is this seller legitimate?

Postby Clym5 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:31 pm

That is a little odd indeed. I saw a listing for a cinema far north, using pictures from my local rock climbing place. Seems to be a somewhat common thing. I'd just inquire about an inconsistency in the picture. Like the extreme yellowing in one, but not the other maybe.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby SeanKennedy on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Clym5 wrote:That is a little odd indeed. I saw a listing for a cinema far north, using pictures from my local rock climbing place. Seems to be a somewhat common thing. I'd just inquire about an inconsistency in the picture. Like the extreme yellowing in one, but not the other maybe.

I saw that and wondered why the cinema was selling caribinas, helmets and rope!
SeanKennedy

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 pm

His name is Jason, he's been on this forum before and actually been to my house :)
He filled my fridge with beer when I helped fix a couple of his Commodore 64's.

I'm not sure why he's been selling his kit the last few weeks, but he is a genuine guy and only lives a few blocks from me.

Edit: I just noticed he said it had a faulty power switch - I'm surprised he hasn't text me to sort it out - one of his units was in perfect working order but the power switch was a dud, I unsoldered it and fitted a couple of wire jumpers (to test the unit worked) and ran the machine for a few hours - playing games etc. But while playing with the switch in my hands for a few minutes it eventually started working correctly - so I soldered it back in to the unit (not the tidiest of jobs - I wish I spent more time on it) and it was running fine. Perhaps it failed again? :(
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby kevman3d on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 am

SpidersWeb wrote:His name is Jason, he's been on this forum before and actually been to my house :)
He filled my fridge with beer when I helped fix a couple of his Commodore 64's.

I'm not sure why he's been selling his kit the last few weeks, but he is a genuine guy and only lives a few blocks from me.

Ah, that's sweet... :D

However - why are all of his photo's not of the actual gear being sold? That C64 image is of someone's Arduino keyboard project, the SD card is from a vintage computing forum and all of the other listings are also taken from other people's websites - noting that the names on one of photo's had been cropped off/painted out. That's what made me concerned really, and you can imagine that it would raise a red flag if someone else wondered why. :?
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby tezza on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 am

kevman3d wrote:However - why are all of his photo's not of the actual gear being sold? That C64 image is of someone's Arduino keyboard project, the SD card is from a vintage computing forum and all of the other listings are also taken from other people's websites - noting that the names on one of photo's had been cropped off/painted out. That's what made me concerned really, and you can imagine that it would raise a red flag if someone else wondered why. :?

Yes, that is usual. I wonder if it's just a case of laziness, where he can't be bothered to take photos? Either way using a borrowed photo without explanation or referencing is not a good look and is bound to raise suspicion in peoples' minds.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby LilJoe on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:32 am

Yeah, that is weird? Look at his reply to Swivel's comment.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby kevman3d on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 am

LilJoe wrote:Yeah, that is weird? Look at his reply to Swivel's comment.

Yeh, that is a strange response regarding the images. :?
That said, someone's now asked if the Arduino is included... :D

Either way using a borrowed photo without explanation or referencing is not a good look and is bound to raise suspicion in peoples' minds.

I agree - I could understand one or two, but every listing on his trademe account is kinda pushing it a little too much. When you see a C64 in its packaging you would expect to see a piccy of the actual packaging to see if its damaged or ripped, not be show a picture of someone else's from the internet.

However all of his listings (apart from the C64) are no longer on TM. Whether they sold, or they were removed I don't know. As Jono knows him, I'm sure that he's a legit collector and this has just been a case of a first time seller on Trademe. (since his account is just recent). :)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby acsi on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Interesting reply regarding the photos, but that said if this was bogus it wouldn't be pickup only.
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 pm

My first thoughts were he wasn't able to get photos of his own gear and is new to trademe/standard procedures. I don't think he's a very technical type of person and quite easy going in nature.
He was very excited to be able to play games with his C64/SD setup - so it's a shame to see it being up for auction.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby kevman3d on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:57 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:My first thoughts were he wasn't able to get photos of his own gear and is new to trademe/standard procedures. I don't think he's a very technical type of person and quite easy going in nature.

Yeh, I was starting to wonder if this was the case the more this thread goes on... And as acsi says, it was a pickup and he had mentioned that people can check it out before handing over the dosh. So I guess we'll wrack it up to simply a lack of initial experience with TM. :)

He was very excited to be able to play games with his C64/SD setup - so it's a shame to see it being up for auction.

I always feel bad when I see people selling their gear, but that's because I tend to hoard and don't want to let stuff go. :roll:

I saw that he was also selling a couple of other C64's, though I think those listings have closed already (I do know one last night had less then 12 hours left). I guess he may have been getting rid of gear that perhaps had that initial nostalgia rush, but quickly faded once you recall that the games perhaps were 'better' before we had anything to compare them to. :wink:

Anyway, should go do some actual work now... Using modern computers. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby acsi on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Hmm out of curiosity I had a look to see how this went and it looks like the account is now disabled.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=5369382

Hopefully no one lost out.
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby kevman3d on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:02 pm

I thought I'd check - while his accounts no longer there, the last two responses to his auction raise concerns. Very unfortunate... :shock:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-855640072.htm
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to Trade Me