Attention Apple II nerds!

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Attention Apple II nerds!

Postby Carcenomy on Mon May 02, 2011 1:33 am

Once upon a time, I did have a IIgs. I loved my IIgs dearly, but during multiple moves, my vintage collection got shuffled between various storage places. Sadly while most of the collection was being looked after by a mate, his flatmate decided some of it was his, took it, disposed of it via TradeMe and friends. Among the stuff he took was the IIgs and an LC2. The LC2 I didn't care about, but the IIgs... GRR!

Fast forward six years and I realized while cleaning my shed, that I still have the floppy drives from the IIgs. One is a standard Apple 5.25" unit, from a IIe platinum. Don't know it's specific model designation but you all know the type I'm talking about anyway. The other is the IIgs standard 3.5" unit. Last time they were checked both were working, however since I no longer have an Apple II and don't have any Apple II software on floppy disks, they're all but totally useless to me. Sure I could hook them up to my Classic II, but then what?

If anyone wants them, make an offer, also open to swaps for Commodore hardware.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Re: Attention Apple II nerds!

Postby lizardb0y on Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

Carcenomy wrote:Once upon a time, I did have a IIgs. I loved my IIgs dearly, but during multiple moves, my vintage collection got shuffled between various storage places. Sadly while most of the collection was being looked after by a mate, his flatmate decided some of it was his, took it, disposed of it via TradeMe and friends. Among the stuff he took was the IIgs and an LC2. The LC2 I didn't care about, but the IIgs... GRR!

Fast forward six years and I realized while cleaning my shed, that I still have the floppy drives from the IIgs. One is a standard Apple 5.25" unit, from a IIe platinum. Don't know it's specific model designation but you all know the type I'm talking about anyway. The other is the IIgs standard 3.5" unit. Last time they were checked both were working, however since I no longer have an Apple II and don't have any Apple II software on floppy disks, they're all but totally useless to me. Sure I could hook them up to my Classic II, but then what?

If anyone wants them, make an offer, also open to swaps for Commodore hardware.

Sorry to hear about the IIgs.

I'm interested in the 5.25" to make up a matching pair for my new IIe Platinum. What sort of Commodore hardware are you looking for?
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Gibsaw on Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am

Carcenomy wrote:...his flatmate decided some of it was his

Good lord... and the "mate" had a role in this presumably? He wouldn't be a mate of mine for very long if things like this happen on his watch.

The police would also have been involved if this had happened to me. Stolen goods can be retrieved if the trademe auctions can be found. (and they can as long as the flatmate can be)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Was more that the dodgy flatmate left without warning. He took a lot of stuff belonging to others, mine was the minor part. He got caught for dealing drugs a few months later, karma comes around I guess.

As for the drives, will test 'em tonight to the best of my abilities, and looking for something in a working C64.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Carcenomy wrote:He got caught for dealing drugs a few months later, karma comes around I guess.

Yeah, and I imagine the IIgs wouldn't have seemed hard to replace 6 years ago...still would have been nice to chase the IIgs when they caught him though. The police could probably have gotten his trademe account without too much trouble if they could get his email address..

The sad part is that there's no winning. You'd have gotten your machine back, but some other (probably a member of this board) apple II enthusiast would then be out of pocket.

Are there no takers for the 3.5" drive then? I already have 2 drives for my IIgs, but I'm willing to add it to my "spares" if no-one else needs it.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't need the 3.5" drive but they can come in handy.

I have such a drive left over from my battery-destroyed IIGS. Recently it's been highly useful. I used it to prepare boot disks for my Lisa. You can hook this 800k IIGS drive up to a Mac classic/classic 2 (and probably other "superdrive"-floppy Macs of the ninties) and prepare boot disks from disk images for not only the Lisa but also older 400/800k drive Macs like the MacPlus, Fat Mac and Mac 128.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm

If I could find a II emulation card for one of my LCs, I'd probably keep it. But alas, I doubt one will turn up easily.

So lizardb0y is after the 5.25" drive, anyone want the 3.5"?
Carcenomy

Postby lizardb0y on Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Well, I've just had a good look and it seems I don't have a 3.5" for the GS either. I don't wantu to be greedy, but I can make good use of both of these.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Gibsaw on Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm

lizardb0y wrote:Well, I've just had a good look and it seems I don't have a 3.5" for the GS either. I don't wantu to be greedy, but I can make good use of both of these.

I'd take it if you didn't, but it'd only be a spare for me.

No-one else is piping up, so looks like it's yours. :)
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 am

Nice. Flick me a PM and we'll jack something up.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Carcenomy wrote:If I could find a II emulation card for one of my LCs, I'd probably keep it. But alas, I doubt one will turn up easily.

"Easily" is a very relative term, so I thought I'd post this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-IIe-Card-Maci ... _500wt_922

There are relatively easy ways (shipito.com is what I use) of getting this to NZ.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 pm

A relative term indeed. It's more about prioritization - if a IIe card turned up for the right price locally I'd be all over it, but not quite at the point of bringing one in. After all, I've got other expensive hobbies that require imports from stateside :)

lizardb0y, haven't forgotten about you, just been busy with work. I'll dig 'em out, give 'em a test run on my Classic and let you know.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Sun May 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Carcenomy wrote:lizardb0y, haven't forgotten about you, just been busy with work. I'll dig 'em out, give 'em a test run on my Classic and let you know.

If you're talking about the Apple II drives, be careful.. you can blow them up. I forget exactly what blows up (probably the 5.25) when connected to what, but at a pinch, it's probably best to leave them untested, rather than connect them to a mac. (unless you had a IIe card)
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Sun May 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Hm, true that. I know the 3.5s work fine on the Mac, but you may be right about the 5.25...

Ah bugger it, I'll just box 'em up and send 'em on ;)
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Gibsaw wrote:...I forget exactly what blows up (probably the 5.25) when connected to what...

Not matching up the plug with the pins on the disk controller does it (been there, done that!).
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Next

Return to Trade Me