Apple IIe Colour Monitor

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Apple IIe Colour Monitor

Postby ZL2AOX on Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 am

I would've bid higher but I was already well over budget, having bought a lot of his other stuff; most recently an O2

He tells me he's thinking of listing an Apple IIGS soon. I'm sure the bidding will be even fiercer ;)

Carcenomy wrote:He's been working on a System 80 setup as of late I believe.
Not me, I've never owned a System 80. My current project is a Commodore PC10.
ZL2AOX

Postby Gibsaw on Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 am

ZL2AOX wrote:I would've bid higher but I was already well over budget

I'm glad ya didn't... it was already silly and my rather impulsive top autobid was starting to look like it might happen.

ZL2AOX wrote:He tells me he's thinking of listing an Apple IIGS soon. I'm sure the bidding will be even fiercer ;)

Really? mmm. I already have an immaculate "ROM 03" but I'd be interested in seeing what he's got.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Tue May 24, 2011 12:20 pm

ZL2AOX wrote:I would've bid higher but I was already well over budget, having bought a lot of his other stuff; most recently an O2

He tells me he's thinking of listing an Apple IIGS soon. I'm sure the bidding will be even fiercer ;)

Carcenomy wrote:He's been working on a System 80 setup as of late I believe.
Not me, I've never owned a System 80. My current project is a Commodore PC10.

Hm, I'd thought you were. My bad.

So you're the one who bought that O2. I saw it there... looked really tidy, let us know how you get on. I know it's not strictly what most would consider a vintage machine, they're not that old after all, but it's definitely a unique piece of hardware.

Would probably bid on the IIgs too, I miss the one I had.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 pm

The guy you are thinking of who was playing around with System 80s could be Kenneth (Old_System_ 80_User) from Levin or maybe even myself. I was restoring some a few months back.

An Apple IIGS eh? I'm looking for one. Actually all I am looking a complete motherboard and bottom of the case because it was both these that were acid damaged and that I tossed. I have the TOP of a IIGS case plus monitor plus cables plus software plus manuals. I've got a spare PSU so I won't even need that. I'm hoping to see (on Trade me or elsewhere) a beaten up, non-tested main unit that some junk dealer wants to sell for $5. I'll then test the motherboard, fix it if I have to, attach my ok case top and I'd have a full IIGS. What are the odds something like that will appear though? :)

I'm not an "Apple collector" as such and I don't consider the IIGS particularly notable as far as general computer history goes. Consequently, it's not really on my hit list. For me it would be good to have as I already have most of a IIGS but won't be spending what the market might demand for a full one.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby lizardb0y on Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 pm

I remember reading about the IIgs in Bits & Bytes and becoming quite excited about it - hence it was one of the first II series I went and looked for specifically. Mine is a ROM 3 in working condition, but no matching keyboard, mouse or monitor. I do have non original adb parts to use with it though :)
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Gibsaw on Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 am

Speaking of Apple IIgs's, I just came across this..

It's 3 GS's... just the boxes.. now if people were interested, I would arrange to bring these down to nz.

They don't say what ROM version they are, and don't get me wrong. The shipping cost will be nontrivial. They'll end up being around US$100-150 each even if I win the auction for US$79.

But it's still cheaper than the NZ$1000 a local system tends to go for and people do have drives and keyboards floating around in this country.

Any takers?
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 am

lizardb0y wrote:I remember reading about the IIgs in Bits & Bytes and becoming quite excited about it - hence it was one of the first II series I went and looked for specifically. Mine is a ROM 3 in working condition, but no matching keyboard, mouse or monitor. I do have non original adb parts to use with it though :)

*COUGH*

If you could manage freight I'm pretty sure I tripped over an original IIgs monitor in my garage last week... I'll see if it's what I think it is, and not some dorky LC2 monitor...
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby lizardb0y on Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 am

Carcenomy wrote:
lizardb0y wrote:I remember reading about the IIgs in Bits & Bytes and becoming quite excited about it - hence it was one of the first II series I went and looked for specifically. Mine is a ROM 3 in working condition, but no matching keyboard, mouse or monitor. I do have non original adb parts to use with it though :)

*COUGH*

If you could manage freight I'm pretty sure I tripped over an original IIgs monitor in my garage last week... I'll see if it's what I think it is, and not some dorky LC2 monitor...

Wow! I'd gladly pay freight for a IIgs monitor - and my everlasting gratitude!

I have a C64C arriving within the next couple of days. I'll let you know how it tests out.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby tezza on Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 am

Gibsaw wrote:Speaking of Apple IIgs's, I just came across this..

It's 3 GS's... just the boxes.. now if people were interested, I would arrange to bring these down to nz.

They don't say what ROM version they are, and don't get me wrong. The shipping cost will be nontrivial. They'll end up being around US$100-150 each even if I win the auction for US$79.

But it's still cheaper than the NZ$1000 a local system tends to go for and people do have drives and keyboards floating around in this country.

Any takers?

Yes, I saw those in my regular e-bay trawls. Thanks but no, I wouldn't be interested. IIGS's are not a high priority for me and the cost would just be too much.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Gibsaw on Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 am

tezza wrote:The seller Wild16 lives just down the road from me. I've bought a couple of items off him via Trade Me in the past. I'm sure he'll be happy with the price. :shock

I'll bet he is...(It's arrived and appears to be "International NTSC" like my existing one.)

Does anyone know anything about this "International NTSC"? I've only seen it on IIe platinums.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Does anyone know anything about this "International NTSC"? I've only seen it on IIe platinums.

A little bit. It is the version designed for PAL and 220/240 Volts. It has some differences in chips and possibly other circuity to the standard American version. These differences tripped me up once.

Why is it called International NTSC version? Good question. I don't understand fully but I think it's because of the weird tricks the Apple II used to show colour. It's tied in with the NTSC standard and the International boards, although really PAL, converted the signal into a sort of pseudo-NTSC, which was then used by the corresponding monitor to show colour.

Bottom line is your platium is the right type for NZ and so is the monitor. Things should be sweet providing you have the right IOU chip in. See the link above if you haven't already been there...from memory the links within my article also discuss the International/North American differences.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby coogie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Before anyone says it... yeeeeeeeah, I got carried away and put a $200 autobid so I wouldn't have to bid again (at work)

Bloody hell coogie... didn't expect to see you just chiming in above the $100 mark ? !

It was already well over silly money at $81

Yep I agree anything above Tezza's initial bid of $50.00 was silly money, but as we all know some times we wait for an eternity for the stuff we are after to turn up on Trademe, hence the supply and demand thing gets a bit out of wack! :shock:

The Auto extend feature that TM introduced works well for the seller but not at all for the buyer as we can all get frustrated and go over our mentally allocated limits. I note ebay does not have this feature which means everyone is forced to put a max bid down prior to closing (even if they all do it in the last closing second).

What we need is more loot being disposed of via trademe instead of being donated to Tezza :wink: :D
coogie

Postby tezza on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Coogie, Gibsaw's $200 bid was on the Apple IIe colour monitor while my $50 was on the IIGS that followed. By your post above you may thought auctions were one in the same. I didn't bid for the monitor.

Yes, that crafty autoextend feature. It can lead to one getting carried away if bidding at the last minute. This is one of reasons I use the autobid more and more. You can decide how much your going to pay, put on the one bid, then walk away (even if it is 5 mins before the close). If you win, good, if you don't, well, at least you've made a more calculated decision than you would have in the heat of the moment.

>What we need is more loot being disposed of via trademe instead of being donated to Tezza

Hehehe. No we don't! :wink:

Although pressed for room I still have beds reserved in the rest home for a Mac 128, Compucolor II, Epson QX-10 and a Jupiter Ace. Full care will be provided and any donations gratefully accepted. There is even a kennel outside for a IIGS :)
tezza
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Trade Me