IBM PS2/PS1/Aptiva collection in Auckland

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

IBM PS2/PS1/Aptiva collection in Auckland

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:41 pm

It's in Auckland and there is way too much stuff for any kind of postage option, and lots of it seems non-working or bits missing but if you're looking for MCA PS/2's or PS/1's or Aptiva etc.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vint ... 661092.htm

I'd LOVE one of those PS/2's (but I suspect the auction winner would too :P ) but sounds like they're 'parts' or 'doeruppers'
The Apitva on the right hand stack looks like the exact model I had when I was younger, even recognise the blue promo sticker on the right.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Re: IBM PS2/PS1/Aptiva collection in Auckland

Postby WelshWizard on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Could be whats left after making up as many good ones as possible, Only a few years ago when I still had the computer company I used to pick up the 286, 386, 486 and first of the Pentiums for a $1 each just to get spare ram out of, Oh how things have changed in 7 years.
WelshWizard

Postby recycled on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:53 pm

but sounds like they're 'parts' or 'doeruppers'

Cor, that's a bit harsh. The 76 is the star of the show, though if you can find a pentium card for the 95 it could be a fun small server.
In all likelyhood, plug in the required reference disc and reset factory defaults should be enough for these to kick into a useable life.
There are many PS/2 sites that offer IBM reference disc images (remember rawrite. so much fun). I could have a swap of the HDD
in my PS/2 to check which ones I've got archived, but really, loads of sites that are a quicker option.

I had a 76 a few years ago and sold it as part of a cull before moving house, it didn't have the plastic discolouration visible in the
photo there, was fully RAMed up (32MB) with a thumping great 1GB HDD and network card. One of those big regrets. Think I got
$50 for it, this lot could be a bargain for somebody with a bit of patience. If it was split out and postage was on offer, I'd probably
be a contender - let the beebs gather some dust for a few weeks!
recycled

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:53 am

Not trying to be harsh, just not trying to oversell it (it was an edit of my original post where I was more like "OH MY GOD").
I'd LOVE that collection, and it's extremely well priced considering how much is there and how much likely works or is easily repaired.

I have a PS/2 VGA monitor (checked and it didn't blow up yey) just need a PS/2 to go under it ;)
Only PS/2 I have history with was a 286 variant when i was growing up, only computer in the room capable of more than 4 colours back then :D For that memory alone it's on my 'to aquire' list shortly behind a 5170.
5170 and a PS/2 pretty much would end my 'need' to collect, although I'm sure I'd find more excuses. Have one machine from each generation, although not sure if my 286-XT counts as a 286 :/
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 am

Every collection needs at least one MCA-type PS/2 even if just to show how IBM tried (and failed) to lead people away from the clone market :)

I quite like the PS/2 design features though, especially with the smaller pizza box units
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Trade Me