Apple II plus in Christchurch

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Apple II plus in Christchurch

Postby lizardb0y on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Looks like a good deal for someone local at $75 buy now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=525336194
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Re: Apple II plus in Christchurch

Postby matsondawson on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Damn it, missed it!
matsondawson

Postby falco on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:21 pm

I won it - sorry! I'm a real sucker for the ][ Plus (and Europlus). He's right, that shipping will be way more than the purchase price, but it's worth it, and he's really quite a helpful chap. I'm sure it won't be a runner, but it'll be an interesting project to fix it up.
falco

Postby falco on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Received the machine yesterday - it's superb! Will post a picture and quick writeup. Just a note here to express my gratitude to lizardb0y - I'm really glad to give this unique machine a home! Thanks for letting us know about it!
falco

Postby EmulatorCoder on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 am

If I had of seen that, matsondawson would have paid over a grand for that computer as I would have bid the crap out of it, until I couldnt afford to bid anymore then matsondawson would have out bid me and taken it off both of us! :D

I love Apple][ computers. And if I could trade me sole for one I would, simple as that.

I dont know what the hell is happening on trademe lately :( , for example while I was trolling the vintage computer section looking for goodies, I spotted this;

Simon $500
IMB PS2 keyboard $120

Is my computer bung, I mean maybe there is a decimal place in there and maybe my computer isnt showing the real prices ie; $50.0 and $12.0 :lol:

Or perhaps you guys are inflating the prices and sellers expectations by paying hughe money for vintage items. (Jokes)

PS: Love the yellow computer though, would love to own one, pity Apple sunk such a promising company.
EmulatorCoder

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 am

Unfortunately that's what the Model M PS/2 keyboards are 'worth'. A normal IBM PS/2 keyboard is worth nothing, but a Model M with it's alps keyswitches etc is a different bag. Their value got jumped up because lots of modern enthusiasts actually like using them on modern computers with PS2 -> USB adaptors.

My PS/2 turned up last night, and I have a PS/2 monitor, but can't afford the keyboard! LOL
I checked on ebay, getting from the US would be around the same or higher.

The Simon is a bit of a joke, I didn't think they were that rare :/ Guess it's just someone having a punt.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby falco on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Out of interest, this Plus now has a CFFA3000 and A2MP3 fitted - happily playing MP3s. Weird on an Apple 2! I still need to pull it to bits and fit the new KB encoder for the PS/2 keyboard, thoug to be honest I quite like the stock Apple keyboard. I have a Redstone clone that has a nicer keboard still. Maybe all this means is that my regular PC keyboard is awful? I also have a MacBook with what amounts to a chiclet keyboard... not so nice. Usable at least I guess. I have a big box of Model Ms as well, but they have comptibility problems, and I haven't had a chance to mod them for more modern PS/2 behaviour yet. I can't even remember what the problem was, too much current draw or something. Bah. Really need one of them working, I'm currently using a Mitsumi that was something like $15 new in 1996. It works, but still...
falco

Postby arjoll on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:40 pm

falco wrote:Really need one of them working, I'm currently using a Mitsumi that was something like $15 new in 1996. It works, but still...

My favourite keyboards were the Nan Tan ones I had on my first two MSDOS PCs - an Ultra 286 (1989) and TL Systems 386 (1993). I regret selling the TL Systems one about 10 years ago with the PC (which had gone from a 386DX/40 to 486DX2/66 to Pentium 133 during its life). Had a nice tactile click without the clunky loudness of a Model M. Alps keyswitches are nice!

Of course the keyboard on my first ever computer wasn't great.... ZX81 :)
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby falco on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 pm

My favourite keyboards were the Nan Tan ones

Now that's funny - those are my second favourite keyboards, I have a big box of them. A lot of them ended up with a bit of wear, and the keys would stick a bit if pressed off-centre. There are even a few TL-branded ones (I live a few hundred metres from TL in Onehunga). I'd pretty much forgotten about them. Time to dig them out and replace the Mitsumi I think!
falco

Postby acsi on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I remember the TL Systems BBS. Are they still around? thought they had disappeared long ago.
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby arjoll on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

They stopped making PCs a few years ago. I used to sell the odd one of theirs in the late 90's before I switched to HP - after a dodgy batch of Celeron 400s from TL. A little ironic seeing I spent a lot of time convincing management at the accounting firm I worked for to switch from Compaq to TL! They were a rock-solid clone for quite a while, but started going cheap on motherboards.

Theatrelight themselves are still around doing lighting controllers, dimmer packs etc.

Would love a Nan Tan keyboard again, but I think the lack of a Windows key would drive me mad :)
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Return to Trade Me