Poly 1

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Poly 1

Postby Roly on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 am

I've just listed a Poly1 on trademe if anyone is interested. like to see it go to a good home.

Used to work but has been storage and now wont boot up properly. Screen displays erratic colours etc. pretty simple machine so probably wont take much to get going again with the right knowhow??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 16&ed=true
Roly

Re: Poly 1

Postby tezza on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks for posting this here Rory. Antiques and collectibles in not where most on this list look for computers so it's good to get an alert.

The Poly looks in good condition. One thing. It's a canary yellow colour. Did some come in that colour, was it painted or is it just extreme yellowing from light?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby tezza on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 am

tezza wrote:Thanks for posting this here Rory. Antiques and collectibles in not where most on this list look for computers so it's good to get an alert.

The Poly looks in good condition. One thing. It's a canary yellow colour. Did some come in that colour, was it painted or is it just extreme yellowing from light?

I've just read the TradeME post more closely. Seems it was the original colour. Cool!
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Roly on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 pm

yip that's a factory paint job! looks positively submersible.

Might change the category...
Roly

Postby Roly on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:16 pm

and heres a pik...

Roly

Postby matsondawson on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Are they super rare? I'm interested but not $500 + shipping interested... Love the colour.
matsondawson

Postby YetiSeti on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm

matsondawson wrote:Are they super rare? I'm interested but not $500 + shipping interested... Love the colour.

Wow! A Poly computer!

Outside Otago University with their preservation project, I've not seen any others on trademe except for that auction which had a room full of computers which included a Poly 1 and Poly 2 amongst the hoards. I believe the trader markbarlow put the bid in for the single screw or something like that to get the dibs, while the polite ones patiently asked for items to be listed. Unfortunately nothing got listed from that lot after that auction except for a Poly 2 and networking equipment, which went for a couple hundred plus???

I'd consider it, but that plus postage would be a pay packet. The yellow is also a bit off-putting. It's not the colour I remember nor what everyone used in the schools (well, at least my one).

Roly, can you please upload your photos to somewhere more public on the internet? The trademe ones will disappear after a bit and it would be a shame for these pictures to disappear from history and your great information.
YetiSeti

Postby arjoll on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:28 pm

matsondawson wrote:Are they super rare?

Yes! I know Southland Girls' High had two around 1981ish and replaced them with BBCs - mum taught maths so I got to play with them a couple of times.
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby YetiSeti on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Does anyone remember what the Poly 2 computer sold for when it was listed? Was it something like $220-230?
YetiSeti

Postby Roly on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 am

matsondawson wrote:Are they super rare? I'm interested but not $500 + shipping interested... Love the colour.

Poly's are rare, but have you ever seen a yellow one before? Yip my fave colour too. We had brown, green, red and black at school too from memory. I'm not particularly experienced with poly trading so put the price on to a) test the market and to b) make sure it goes to someone with the poly passion. That and I'm still attached to it myself.

Plenty of interest out there. See what happens then reassess.
Roly

Postby Roly on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks Yetiseti. Yeh I'm aware of the Otago Uni "PPP". Mostly I want this to go to a good home. If she dosnt sell then I might consider sending it to them. I've given Andrew T of the PPP some new high resolution photos to post on the PPP website. Message me if anyone else interested and ill email them to you at full res.

Cheers,

Roly

Postby YetiSeti on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Whoever buys this (myself included) needs to do a talk and video it - I'm thinking Pecha Kucha - titled (The Retrowe Museum/Insert Your Collection Name:) "... A Poly-amorous affair with computers" and have this picture on the first slide. :D
YetiSeti

Postby Roly on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Looking forward to the cinema release Yeti!
Roly

Postby tezza on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am

Holy s**t!! That was one hell of a bidding battle.

Oh well, at least both the bidders were true collectors that would value this item. Congratulations Clinton, you have a fine piece of New Zealand computing history there.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby matsondawson on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:13 pm

I was going to bid more, but was juggling a baby and a wife, so ran out of time. Probably best Yeti got it, I out bid him a while ago for an Apple 2c with LCD screen.
Of course he really won as the LCD screen was buggered.
matsondawson

Next

Return to Trade Me