Compaq Portable

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Compaq Portable

Postby EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:Trademe, where you may find 1 or 2 (max) collectable vintage computers at a time (the rest is dumpster trash) and,
at least Tezza,SpidersWeb,recycled,matsondawson,gibsaw and the rest trolling it 8)
Sick, I tell you, Sick :|

When simons are listed for $500 and broken luggables for $700 and keyboards for over a hundy, E-bay is starting to look real tempting,

give bad feedback and you get bad feedback, no faster way of getting bad feed-back on your account. :evil:
EmulatorCoder

Postby manuka on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:42 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:When simons are listed for $500 and broken luggables for $700 and keyboards for over a hundy, E-bay is starting to look real tempting,

That's why I list the majority of my auctions at $1 reserve and let you guys decide what it's worth. Although next year I might have to put a $10 reserve on my auctions as the trustees where I work get a little miffy about me spending time packaging up and posting parcels that only go for a few bucks
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't think anyone would complain if your start price was 10 or 20 manuaka :)
My Vectra and PS/2 are going like champions.

Edit - thanks Yeti, you seem to have possibly sold him on the low reserve idea, now to make sure I don't spend all my money over Christmas :P
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:give bad feedback and you get bad feedback, no faster way of getting bad feed-back on your account. :evil:

indeed... trademe's feedback mechanism is a joke... entirely retaliatory and trademe won't intervene. It's like they're deaf, dumb, blind AND extremely retarded. You can supply proof and they'll just say it's your "opinion" and that you'll need to resolve it with the vendor.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby matsondawson on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:13 am

I saw a thing on Fair Go where TradeMe said that if someone gives you a retaliatory feedback then they will revoke it.
matsondawson

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, I've had first hand experience that they won't. It is amazing how much more co-operative the droids are, once fair go gets a corporation's PR droids feathers all ruffled.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby recycled on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:at least Tezza,SpidersWeb,recycled,matsondawson,gibsaw and the rest trolling it 8)

Cor, that's rough, made me laugh a bit too ;o) Some of the people selling computer stuff just don't know what they've got (ie, not nerds or OLD nerds like some of us here). I did like to think I was genuinely trying to help. Sorry it appears as trolling, though after the last time when I suggested the chap with his 64MB SIMMs should have put up a picture without them sitting on carpet - no static protection, I've managed to hold my tongue (fingers) as I said before. I do see how it is negative against the seller, but come on, some of the buyers are also not nerds but people reliving their childhood and wouldn't know any better. Or like my brother, one of my beebs has been earmarked for introduction to their household when Jnr. is old enough so he can 'learn to program' - apparently. And that is a situation that is occurring a lot at the moment. Read the various blogs out there, IIgs, Amigas, all sorts. 'Cos they can't be 'programmed' to death like a family PC that parents require to do their banking or other - like happened to my boss's laptop, Jnr. took it to school, the next day it didn't go, 'May have been dropped' was the eventual excuse after strenuously denying any problems with it. But I'm waffling again!

Us OLD nerds, I guess stirring these young guys up over inaccuracies in their adds passes the time.

Gibsaw wrote:indeed... trademe's feedback mechanism is a joke... entirely retaliatory and trademe won't intervene. It's like they're deaf, dumb, blind AND extremely retarded. You can supply proof and they'll just say it's your "opinion" and that you'll need to resolve it with the vendor.

Amen to that. Recently completed a trade where I was the buyer. Feedback was not placed against my name until I had put positive feedback on him. When I'm the seller, I want you to communicate with me and pay for the item in a timely manner and then I can place feedback. That's the end of your part as I see it, I don't want to blackmail the purchaser. It seems simple. It appears other sellers are not sure of what they're selling.

Equally the purchaser should be happy the item meets their satisfaction regarding how promptly I acted to get the item shipped, how well it was packaged, how closely it matches the description and if it's supposed to work, that it does. If the buyer is unhappy, they should try and get it resolved with me before placing feedback. It would be nice to have that sort of service mentioned too - Yes, I've refunded for items that weren't up to the purchasers expectations, no mention of those in feedback. Other situations where I've placed feedback and nothing in return. So now if I don't get feedback, I delete my feedback from their profile. I look at some of the 'newer' traders (less stars than others) and think 'come on guys, you need my feedback more than I need yours. Why not place something.

Neutral feedback is good feedback, particularly if it is about problem resolution. Negative feedback should just be an indication that the person you are dealing with is HUMAN and unfortunately makes mistakes. Repetitive negative feedback about the same issue is a warning. Don't be afraid of negative feedback. I got mine a while back, water under the bridge. (And CRTNZ blacklisted me after one transaction - we both placed positive feedback on each other for a successful trade - me buying. I don't know what happened there, and they have never responded).

The feedback system in Trade Me needs rules that are policed properly. Trade Me are not simply a classifieds listing service, they offer more and should offer more in regards their customer service too.

But that's a rant I should launch at Trade Me, we all know what we're dealing with when we agree to be buyer/seller on their website? (Geez, is it Summer already or am I hot under the collar again! ;op )

Merry Christmas everybody!

(Edited twice to fix my grammar. Sorry!)
recycled

Previous

Return to Trade Me