Dead IBM 5160 Not going cheap

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Dead IBM 5160 Not going cheap

Postby machinecoder on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 am

theres a Dead second generation IBM-PC (5160) with a hunk broken out of the monitor for sale on trademe :|

Usual tactic for selling dead vintage hardware, ie; put a good price on it and dont say anything at all about it.

Vendor so far hasnt answered questions like; "does it go?"

In the picture the computer is fully setup, and the vender mentions they have the standard "D" plug so I personally have no doubt this vendor has tried to power it up (why wouldnt they)

Very grainy picture, but looks like IBM Badge is missing and I can vaguely see some marks around where it was, cant see a floppy drive in the front (But I guess it must be there) , pictures far to grainy to make out any detail.

$200 buy now, I presume for parts.
machinecoder

Re: Dead IBM 5160 Not going cheap

Postby tezza on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:34 am

Yes, a vague description and poor photo means the purchase is a lottery, or a parts-only buy (without knowing what parts are good and what are not).

Like all lotteries, I only risk them when the buying price is really low, which is not the case here. I don't pay much for parts only machines either.

Sellers are entitled to ask what they like, but I doubt this sale will grab any real enthusiasts, unless it's a pick up with someone wanting a specific part (and being prepared to pay for it).
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:28 pm

In NZ it seems rare for these units to come out of storage and be working. So yeah, assume it's dead.
He can't test that monitor without the base unit working too, they wont do anything until they're fed a signal.

I'd pay $100 and be happy, an expensive lottery ticket but I enjoy the discovery/experience, $200 I'd need to be a little more desperate than I am now (I have two 5160's already).

I'm suspecting nod10 will jump in and grab this one. Even if I wanted it I can't pickup from ChCh.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 am

Holy heck, it actually IS a runner
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Return to Trade Me