Atari 400 goes for $386

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Atari 400 goes for $386

Postby tezza on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm

$386 is a respectable amount for an Atari 400. Is it any surprise Matt Dawson is the winner? :)

Congratulations. Let us know how it goes (or not).
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Atari 400 goes for $386

Postby matsondawson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm sick :)
But I didn't have a PAL version of it.
I hate to imagine what an Atari 800 in box would go for.
matsondawson

Postby machinecoder on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 am

I Saw a Astro-wars selling for $1000 buy now in "gaming/other" section :?

Its actually worth $40-$80

Wish you luck in the future, should ever decide to try and cash up some of those computers :?

I imagine an atari-800 (boxed) would go for a lot less if your internet was down at the time :roll: (jokes!)

I mean I have seen some of trademe lately, seems like getting tooooop dollar is the theme of the "vintage computer section" lately.

Has anyone considered that such a closed market will drive prices up, tough luck for collectors without deep pockets.

Still , the Atari 400 is a nice piece of hardware, And I just had a look at tradme vintage computer section and there isnt a single vintage computer listed, just C=64 tapes, amiga rubbish and Pac-man earring's so I guess there are plenty of takers but no hardware to purchase :cry:
machinecoder

Postby matsondawson on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:57 am

machinecoder wrote:Wish you luck in the future, should ever decide to try and cash up some of those computers :?

I mean I have seen some of trademe lately, seems like getting tooooop dollar is the theme of the "vintage computer section" lately.

Yup, I don't expect to ever get my money back on my preciouses, I assume that I'll die one day and my kids will sell it for a song to a shifty antique dealer.
I think there's a definite supply and demand going on, there are basically bugger all vintage computers coming up for sale.
But the exchange rate to the U.S.A. is awesome atm, maybe time for some buying of ebay.
Although be warned, when someone says mint on ebay they mean it's ripped to shit and barely works!
matsondawson

Postby machinecoder on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

matsondawson wrote:Yup, I don't expect to ever get my money back on my preciouses, I assume that I'll die one day and my kids will sell it for a song to a shifty antique dealer.
I think there's a definite supply and demand going on, there are basically bugger all vintage computers coming up for sale.
But the exchange rate to the U.S.A. is awesome atm, maybe time for some buying of ebay.
Although be warned, when someone says mint on ebay they mean it's ripped to shit and barely works!

[/quote]

"when someone says mint on ebay they mean it's ripped to shit and barely works!" ,same goes when purchasing off trademe, most vintage stuff is old/yella and on its last legs from old age while in need of repair.

I have decided im not able to collect vintage computers as there are to many pickers and to little pickings when it comes to trademe/vintage computers, with un-realistic pricing for old yella, bearly working computers, so im going back to collecting old yella bearly working consoles :lol:

like the fount.ain which im working on some stuff for now 8) (Shhhh! dont tell anyone! like patti SSShhhhh!)

PS; Matson, your collection must be looking very impressive, so if you need anymore children to leave them to, im avaliable, (will wash your car on sundays! just to get in your will, im a bit old to be one of your kids, but you could say im from your first older wife-e)
machinecoder

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm

machinecoder wrote:I have decided im not able to collect vintage computers as there are to many pickers and to little pickings when it comes to trademe/vintage computers, with un-realistic pricing for old yella, bearly working computers, so im going back to collecting old yella bearly working consoles :lol:

like the fount.ain which im working on some stuff for now 8) (Shhhh! dont tell anyone! like patti SSShhhhh!)
)

There's a Tunix for $50, but if you wait long enough one for $20-$30 should pop up for sale. - http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-colle ... 355373.htm
YetiSeti

Postby machinecoder on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks I have a tunix and ALL the carts for it.

interesting piece of NZ History (and global history) like the foun.tain ! same CPU etc.

Most importantly there are some real "chunky pixels" and low memory specs that I like.

Did you know half the RAM in the Tunix is disabled by the hardware design, ie the last address line is hardwired to ground, disabling half the static RAM chip. If I was in charge I would have kicked the board designers butt :evil:

Did you know the foun.tain does even have a single RAM chip ! good to purchase as you know they dont have any bad 2114's or 4116's :wink: (The Tunix has two nibble wide Static RAM's) If you have ever tried to open one, its a mission to get through the ballast shielding (erm ok I actually meant tin sheilding, but I like to refer to my vintage stuff in terms of battle requirements and thermal nuclear fallout protection levels etc, like the Atari's are stealthy and wont show on radar, but a Tunix would kick its butt in a head butting competion! due to its ballast rated armour)

I wrote much code for the 2650 including an assembler and disassembler, it is accurate enough to disassemble the entire Tunix 40-50 cartridges and re-assemble them to 100% identical binary images.

One problem with purchasing it, That is - It will never be worth $50 :lol: saw one go for $15 dollars few weeks back, but then again, skys the limit on trademe lately, good time to cash up a collection,

Tezza and Matdawson should be worth a mint on the stock market soon :) yes I am jealous much !
machinecoder

Postby matsondawson on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:19 am

I just got the machine with drives etc... The packaging is mint, and machine appears externally mint too. So I'm chuffed. Only problem is the box is missing something as the computer and inserts don't fill it all. Will have to go hunting and find out what it is.
matsondawson

Postby WelshWizard on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

I think the 400 came with a few cartridges, it needs the Basic cartridge and a number of game cartridges, if thats any help.
WelshWizard

Return to Trade Me