I've managed to acquire an IBM 5155 a few weeks back from GCARD. Thought I'd post my findings and progress with fixing it.
It suffers from the ol' explodey tantalum capacitor illness, so far it's popped 6 of them. 2 on expansion cards, 3 on the motherboard and 1 on a floppy drive.
I've left the CRT unplugged while I work on it for now just as a safety precaution, so I don't know if it works as of yet.
The 5155 has only had an accumulative power on time of maybe 20 seconds over 10 on-off cycles since I got it.
First up is sorting out the power supply. It works, and puts out the right voltages. However, when I opened it up to preemptively change the line filter caps and electrolytic caps, I found the PCB was riveted onto the case.
To save time, I'm thinking about taking out the old IBM PCB and fitting a newer ATX switchmode PSU board in there instead. I'd need to rummage up an ATX 1.X PSU as the newer 2.X ones don't have a -5v line, only a -12v line.
In terms of what expansions were in the 5155, there was the standard video card, a fully populated SixPakPlus, and two serial/parallel comms cards.
I can post links to higher res images if anyone wants. Cheers
Last edited by Clym5
on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy