Switch to full style

Apple IIe Platinum

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Re: Apple IIe Platinum

by Carcenomy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 pm

The ol' exploding power supply... we had a brand spankin' new CoolerMaster supply come into work the other day, the new guy installed it and got it all sorted then...

Mwop mwop, it wasn't set to 230V when it came out of the box.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

by mrad01 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Update #2: Items shipping this weekend.

I have been updated by my (new) friends in Timaru - they have packed up 5 large boxes of "Apple stuff" which will be leaving this weekend and arriving to me next wednesday. Nice.

Sounds like fun...
mrad01

by mrad01 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am

The Timaru haul is arriving in 30 minutes....wait for the catalog <-See what I did there
mrad01

by Gibsaw » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am

I see you bought that set of manuals from bwwiki... I was going to grab them, but got stuck away from my computer at close of auction.

Probably best. It looks like you already had a bit of competition. One of us would have ended up paying through the nose if I had joined the auction as well. :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

by mrad01 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 am

Gibsaw wrote:I see you bought that set of manuals from bwwiki... I was going to grab them, but got stuck away from my computer at close of auction.

Probably best. It looks like you already had a bit of competition. One of us would have ended up paying through the nose if I had joined the auction as well. :)

Actually I didn't win them - it was another...
mrad01

by mrad01 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Crikey!

Bit of a haul...
5x Apple IIe Platinums (with a spare parts board, case and keyboard)
3x Apple IIe Monochrome screens
2x Apple 5.25 disks
Various spares
Multiple original manuals!

Its going to be a long weekend..

mrad01

by tezza » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 am

A good crop of apples, albeit a little past their best. It looks like the number of fully restored units you might get from this haul will be limited by keyboard availability. Still, you'll have lots of spare parts. Keep up posted on what happens when you fire them up!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by mrad01 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:22 am

tezza wrote:A good crop of apples, albeit a little past their best. It looks like the number of fully restored units you might get from this haul will be limited by keyboard availability. Still, you'll have lots of spare parts. Keep up posted on what happens when you fire them up!

Yes! I'm picking I'll get 3 working out of this - there were a heap of the keys in another box - so we should be good...
mrad01

by lizardb0y » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 am

It never hurts to have spare keys!
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

by Gibsaw » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am

Wow. Well, the good thing about Apple IIe's is that they're eminently repairable. Not much in the ASIC department. You generally don't find yourself being forced to cannibalise. You could probably have 5 or even all 6 working if you wanted :) (Keyboards notwithstanding)

I pity people restoring C64's. It's pretty much cannibalise or stop once that PLA gives up... and god help you if you want a SID. (You can end up paying silly money because the remaining stock is being rapidly nabbed by people making "boutique" synthesisers.)
Gibsaw

by Carcenomy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am

Gibsaw wrote:Wow. Well, the good thing about Apple IIe's is that they're eminently repairable. Not much in the ASIC department. You generally don't find yourself being forced to cannibalise. You could probably have 5 or even all 6 working if you wanted :) (Keyboards notwithstanding)

I pity people restoring C64's. It's pretty much cannibalise or stop once that PLA gives up... and god help you if you want a SID. (You can end up paying silly money because the remaining stock is being rapidly nabbed by people making "boutique" synthesisers.)

Yeah no kidding. Finding spares for the Commodore 64 is a real nightmare now. I was given four dead units as part of my late uncle's estate which have provided enough componentry to get at least a few working but had I needed to order in, I'd have problems. I do however need spares for my 1541s... that, I'm not looking forward to.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

by WelshWizard » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Carcenomy wrote:
Yeah no kidding. Finding spares for the Commodore 64 is a real nightmare now. I was given four dead units as part of my late uncle's estate which have provided enough componentry to get at least a few working but had I needed to order in, I'd have problems. I do however need spares for my 1541s... that, I'm not looking forward to.

Carcenomy trying to find one that's working let alone stuffed on Trade Me is Ni on impossible at the moment, don't even see any listed very often, and when they are people want silly money for them, yet in the UK or the states they are still cheep, they way it going it will be cheaper to buy overseas and ship them in.ey way it going it will be cheeper to buy overseas and ship them in. even worse for Apple stuff
WelshWizard

by tezza » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

WelshWizard wrote:Carcenomy trying to find one that's working let alone stuffed on Trade Me is Ni on impossible at the moment, don't even see any listed very often, and when they are people want silly money for them, yet in the UK or the states they are still cheep, they way it going it will be cheaper to buy overseas and ship them in.ey way it going it will be cheeper to buy overseas and ship them in. even worse for Apple stuff

I'm glad I got mine when I did. The price was quite reasonable. There were millions of C64s made though so they should be available for a while. Makes me think maybe I should stock up on a working spare or two for the future!

When I first started buying computers off Trade Me in 2007 they were about as common as Amiga 500s are now.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by Gibsaw » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Actually the thing I find amazing is the almost total lack of IBM clones.

The 286's, 386's and 486's. It's like they disappeared off the face of the earth and they must have outnumbered these 80's classics 100 to 1.

Try buying a working vanilla clone 386 these days. You're far more likely to get a working C64 or Apple IIe.
Gibsaw

by WelshWizard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Actually the thing I find amazing is the almost total lack of IBM clones.

The 286's, 386's and 486's. It's like they disappeared off the face of the earth and they must have outnumbered these 80's classics 100 to 1.

Try buying a working vanilla clone 386 these days. You're far more likely to get a working C64 or Apple IIe.

Back when I had the computer company every 286/386/ 486/ and early Pentiums taken in as Part X were broken upfor parts,
parts would fetch ( just found some old records.)
5.25" floppies $10
3.5" floppies $20
Hard drives up to 800 meg $20 above 800meg any thing up to $40
most ram would start at $10 a stick
PSU would fetch $5
even CPU's would sell for $5 each

cases would be collected into steel only and taken to scrappy for light steel scrap I think most of the other dealers would do the same, in fact a lot of us would go to Fitzgerald auction to buy up cheap computers just to break and sell at the computer flea market on a Saturday morning, we made more profit from the scrapping of old systems than selling Brade new ones
there was also a chap down in Hamilton that had auctions of computer stuff most of the computers bought at auction were only $5 a piece so we would when we got say Air NZ updating the computers end up buying about 50 computers at a time just to brake into parts ( back in the day it was often possible to take in over a $1000 in a morning at the flea market) which would offset any bad trading times during the week or cover expenses
So I am not surprised at the lack of them, and most IBM clones were stupid prices compared to Amigas or ST's ( 1999 Green computer Company were selling a Pentium 300mhz system with CD rom monitor K/B for about $3500 )
WelshWizard

PreviousNext