The heart of collecting

Discuss topics which do not fit into any of the forums above

The heart of collecting

Postby tezza on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:01 pm

This is almost on-topic because collecting is what most of us do to one degree or another.

This was sent through to me by my eldest daughter this morning. It was aired on National Radio today. It's an interview with Patrick Rosenkranz, director of the documentary Finders Keepers, a film about collectors (Patrick himself collects comic books). I listened to the interview and could relate to much of what he said about collectors and collector culture.

Anyway, it's only 18 minutes long and worth a listen. The interview is listed on the RadioNZ nine-to-noon program for today. It may not be there tomorrow though, so this is the direct link to the MP3 (which I assume will be permanent.)

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

P.S. here is a link to the trailor of the film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0UkRTPEQgA
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: The heart of collecting

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 am

Found the U tub link better, that's where I could see my self better described , and after thinking about it I think I may be as nutty as some of them , started collecting old motorcycles back in the late 70's which left me with around 36 old motorcycles BSA, Triumph , Norton, RE's being the main ones but also other makes, Sold most of them when I moved to SA, due to high cost of moving them, but did keep the BSA and Norton, so I collected Beta Video tapes when there, this changed into VHS tapes, then moved to NZ remaining Motorcycles came with plus the Video collection, DVD arrived so stared collecting them instead of VHS, all along my trusty Atari 8 bits had moved with me, ( I did not consider myself a collector of old computers, as I still had use for them.) also got back into collecting Motorcycles so back up to about 34 also mainly BSA Norton and Triumph ( however the wife is a nutty about them as me so no problem, also no problem with collecting the DVDs as they take less space than the Video tapes which I cleared out most of recently to make space, which lead to me finding my old 8 bit stuff stored in the attic, curious to find out if it still worked it was powered up ( dead meat, it all came flooding back and so I started to look around for other 8 bit stuff only to find that there were plenty of web sites out there that now supported what had some years ago died away through lack of support) Due to the aggro between C= and Atari fans ( mines the best crap) I decided to find out what the C= was really like so I have acquired a few of late, C16 was the first, great now to find out how good they really are, only to find that software is hard to come by, so I acquired a C64 , then a dataset for it seems the C16 dataset is not compatible with the C64 , then a disk drive for it and a bit of software, only to find out that the darn thing would not fire into life ( power pack was dead) so now I have one on the way thanks to a member here, ( Much appreciated help) however in the mean time I have purchased a C64c with a multi sink monitor, which is now in a very dry room waiting a few weeks to make sure its is dry, as I don't know how well it was stored for the last 12 years and has not been fired up before the purchase.
So I am still waiting to compare the C= stuff with my A8 stuff, as for the ST gear I have still needs new disk drive though the one fires up to desk top this being the 520STFM which I upgraded to 1040k (that upgrade taught me how crappy the electronics were on the ST compared with the A8's that are like Brick shit houses the way they are made) As for the other 4 ST's they all need repairs to the power supply as I used them to keep the 520 going before boxing them up to the attic, Most of the IBM stuff came from the left overs of a computer company I closed down about 7 years ago.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:57 am

Oh the eternal debate... Atari 8-bit versus Commodore 8-bit... ST versus Amiga...

You know what side of the fence I'm on, but with that said I do have a tidy 4-switch Vader 2600, a clean boxed 800XL and a clean boxed XEGS. It's hard to compare them, but you can tell the Tramiel influence in the later Atari stuff that's for sure :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Yes, Commodore vrs Atari, Windows vrs OSx, IBM vrs Apple, Iphone vrs Samsug galaxy, fan-boy this versus fan-boy that. It continues to this day. It shows the inherent tribablism hardwired into humans which those marketing product exploit to the max.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby WelshWizard on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 am

Carcenomy wrote:Oh the eternal debate... Atari 8-bit versus Commodore 8-bit... ST versus Amiga...

You know what side of the fence I'm on, but with that said I do have a tidy 4-switch Vader 2600, a clean boxed 800XL and a clean boxed XEGS. It's hard to compare them, but you can tell the Tramiel influence in the later Atari stuff that's for sure :)

The one thing I find interesting as of yet its still a question of what known against what I have erad about the C64 is why does the Atari run at 1.7 odd and the C64 seems to run at 1 yet they both use an 8 bit CPU ?
Atari
CPU:
6502B (most 400/800 machines)
Atari SALLY 6502 (late 400/800 machines and all XL/XE machines)

CPU CLOCK RATE:
1.7897725 MHz (NTSC machines)
1.7734470 MHz (PAL/SECAM machines)
Commodore
The C64 uses an 8-bit MOS Technology 6510 microprocessor. This is a close derivative of the 6502 with an added 6-bit internal I/O port that in the C64 is used for two purposes: to bank-switch the machine's ROM in and out of the processor's address space, and to operate the datasette tape recorder.
which I have be told and have read some where on the internet only give a speed of about 1 MHz

But the VIC11
The VIC-II was manufactured with 5 micrometer NMOS technology[2] and was clocked at either 17.73447 MHz (PAL) or 14.31818 MHz (NTSC). Internally, the clock was divided down to generate the dot clock (about 8 MHz) and the two-phase system clocks (about 1 MHz; the exact pixel and system clock speeds are slightly different between NTSC and PAL machines). At such high clock rates, the chip generated a lot of heat, forcing MOS Technology to use a ceramic DIL package (called a "CERDIP"). The ceramic package was more expensive, but it dissipated heat more effectively than plastic.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Yeap they do only run at 1MHz. Not sure why... you'd need to ask the designers. Could be to do with the timing of the memory modules they were using I guess?

Good grief, five posts and we're already back to computing as a topic! :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Carcenomy wrote:Good grief, five posts and we're already back to computing as a topic! :)

Yea..lol. I'm not one of those pedantic moderators who jump down people's throats the moment they stray from the original topic. I believe conversation flows and threads do evolve just as when we discuss things face to face. However, in this case the C64 vrs Atari 8 bit speed phenomena (and the reasons for it) would have been better as a topic in it's own right under the "General" thread. If the discussion does trigger something quite unrelated to the topic, best to start it as a new topic and just back reference the thread which triggered it.
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Other Off-Topic Chat