Rear projection tv convergence problem?

Discuss topics which do not fit into any of the forums above

Rear projection tv convergence problem?

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:24 pm

My first mistake after the heavy dumping of hail and massive hallway leak on Thursday was to dry my books out with the heater rather than dehumidifier. My second mistake was doing it in front of my big screen tele. After about 20 hours of the heater going in my living room drying out my books, I now have the following problem with my much loved bigger than big screen tv.

Does the picture below indicate a convergence problem (which is about the only fault mentioned on the internet for this type of tv)? All the colours align apart from red, which has the big arc in the middle, and a trapezoid shape filling out much of the screen. There are also a few other random red splotches on part of the screen.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3 ... Jy0liipFm0
YetiSeti

Re: Rear projection tv convergence problem?

Postby falco on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Hmm, I think that's more than just convergence! I'm a bit out of touch with this sort of thing, but I'm guessing this is a back-projection CRT TV with three individual tubes? It looks a bit like one of the yokes has gone bad, though it could be severe confusion in the convergence side of things somewhere. Maybe someone with more up to date knowledge has some input?
falco

Postby tezza on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Clinton,

I've shifted this out of the Vintage Computer Repair and Restoration forum as although that area deals with the latter, it's a TV rather than a vintage computer or computer-related accessory we are talking about here. The thread re-positioning shouldn't impact on visibility of the problem though, as I've left the thread still accessible in the repair forum.

Is this that big TV I saw at your place? It would certainly qualify as vintage. Goodness knows how you get something like that repaired!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby arjoll on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Quite possibly an issue with scan coils etc, maybe the heat/humidity has softened the adhesive on the neck of the CRT. I have a friend in the service industry, if I get a chance I'll ask for an opinion.
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

tezza wrote:Is this that big TV I saw at your place? It would certainly qualify as vintage. Goodness knows how you get something like that repaired!

Yeah, that's the one! I have an old 80s article somewhere with a picture of this tv one ones like it. It's titled video gaming TVs and shows you all the big screen tv's that you just must have for gaming.

I feel sorry for the first or second car that came through at the last e-day. It was elderly couple who must have lined up pretty early to drop off their monitor e-waste. It's all they had in the car. It was a tv and they were told they couldn't drop it off as e-waste. Poor couple. Of course it was their computer monitor. We all used TVs for computer monitors. Perhaps they solely used it for their computer and not as a tv at all.
YetiSeti

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 am

Holy cow, that's a real beast of a television! Good luck getting spares!
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby arjoll on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok, I've heard back:
If it’s a CRT rear pro then its more likely the coolant fluid has leaked or got air in it. (It’s a special type of glycol coolant) The seals are notorious for perishing and allowing it to migrate. If its LCD rear pro then it could be alignment.

It's sounding like you may need to get it looked at - but you'd need to find a service company who would be willing to and have someone who's been around long enough to want to try component-level repairs. I can recommend one in Invercargill, but that's about it!
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Return to Other Off-Topic Chat