In case any Console fan has a spare NZ$209k...

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

In case any Console fan has a spare NZ$209k...

Postby kevman3d on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:18 pm

...then there's a fairly hefty collection of nintendo, sega and various consoles and games that reared its head on eBay last week. Oddly, nobody seems to have bid on it... Though, over 330 people have had their offers declined... :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221564569633
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: In case any Console fan has a spare NZ$209k...

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 am

Yeah, I don't quite understand the expectation. These collections are built up over years and years, and to sell it again successfully would also take years. I don't think any of us could afford to buy even our own collections as one lump sum - especially at a premium for the collection being "complete".

I have a quite large collection now, but I already know that when the time comes for me to say "I'm done", I will probably have to break it up into affordable pieces and sell it over a period of about two years. There's theoretically value in a "complete" collection, but I'm inclined to think there's an optimum size before you start excluding too many buyers. It's a big coincidence to find someone who (a) wants this and (b) doesn't already have most of it and (c) can afford it.

Realistically unless he's very lucky, what's going to happen is the collection will go for a lot less than it's "worth" because that coincidence doesn't happen very often. Either way it's not likely to go to an enthusiast.

I don't know which is worse. That collection becoming just another "valuable thing" behind glass, or becoming someone's brokerage investment. There's a lot of this on ebay already. Entire collections that have been bought out, the pieces hanging around for years on ebay at inflated prices, distorting the market.

I guess it's inevitable, but it's turning vintage computers into just another area of the antiques market, rather than a hobby. :?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming