New obsolete media

Please post details of what you have to sell, swap or to give away

New obsolete media

Postby arjoll on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Last week I was reading random stuff online about my HP 85, and found a site with info on an earlier model HP that also used DC100 tapes. This site included a link to a company who can sell new DC100 tapes.

I've made contact with this company, and they also do all kinds of other media - including other DC series tapes DSDD 5.25" and 3.5" disks.

Some example pricing they've given me is US$11.50 per box of 10 DSDD 48tpi 5.25" floppies, US$11.50 per box 10 DSDD 135tpi 3.5" floppies and (are you sitting down?) US$52.50 each for DC100 tapes, obviously plus freight. There are quantity breaks. Looking at the website they also do brand-new 8" disks and a range of tape formats.

This is the site - http://www.athana.com/

Is anyone interested in making up a larger order? I've got lots of used DSDD disks from Trademe, but I must admit the idea of having new media not randoms of unknown quality is tempting!
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Re: New obsolete media

Postby TRS80 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

The same company will still make disk packs for the RK-05 drives on my PDP-11 as well.... at around US$150 per pack. But at least they are available.

Interesting you have an HP-85. I have one of these also.... it's operational but I haven't attempted to use it beyond entering some basic programs. Certainly haven't tried the tape drive. Likely needs some maintenance to fix up the capstan before I attempt that.
Wanted: S-100 Bus components - please PM me if you have any. They don't even need to work!

SBC6120 / PDP11 + VAX / TRS-80 / Kaypro / Northstar / Home Brew Z80 / BBC / Amstrad / Commodore
http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog
TRS80

Postby Carcenomy on Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 pm

That's really good to know. I've just lost the head on another 1541 due to questionable media so it's time to build a collection of new floppies from fresh images. Now I need some heads and an alignment floppy... hmmmm...
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 am

Are the heads actually broken? I recently went through my 5.25 drives, and found that some needed pressure applied to the head with the cleaning disk (with isopropyl) running inside to actually clean them - they were victims of questionable media too. Rather polished, but running well now, shiny heads.

I have a good stock pile of DSDD and DSHD, but if they sell cleaning disks let me know (damn hard to find). Was quite happy to see this thread, nice to see someone out there is filling the niche for old media.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby acsi on Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Speaking of Obsolete media, does anyone know where you can obtain blank cassette tapes?

I'm really starting to get hooked on the old 8 bits (ZX80, 81, Oric etc) and just have a hankering to try and use the original media rather than the laptop playing WAV's
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby arjoll on Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm

acsi wrote:Speaking of Obsolete media, does anyone know where you can obtain blank cassette tapes?

I bought a pile of Sony C60's from Dove last year - the end of their stock. The kids' music teacher still uses them for practice tracks.

Older, more rural electrical stores may still have stock - I was at one in Winton last year doing a payroll install and they had audio cassettes, VHS tapes, Hi-8 and MiniDisc on the shelf beside the MiniDV tapes and SD cards.

Failing that Direct Imports were a huge presence in custom loaded tape manufacturing - they may have stock - or even Stebbing Recording Centre, but you'll have a minimum order quantity there. One of my clients buys sound gear from DI, if you can't find anything let me know and I'll ask them.
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby Gibsaw on Thu May 02, 2013 10:16 pm

TDK Still make cassettes. Check Amazon.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Swivel on Fri May 03, 2013 7:06 pm

acsi wrote:Speaking of Obsolete media, does anyone know where you can obtain blank cassette tapes?

I'm really starting to get hooked on the old 8 bits (ZX80, 81, Oric etc) and just have a hankering to try and use the original media rather than the laptop playing WAV's

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-ph ... 589174.htm
Swivel

Postby Carcenomy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:29 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:Are the heads actually broken? I recently went through my 5.25 drives, and found that some needed pressure applied to the head with the cleaning disk (with isopropyl) running inside to actually clean them - they were victims of questionable media too. Rather polished, but running well now, shiny heads.

I'd been cleaning the heads with isopropyl on cotton buds, which worked the first few times, but now... now we're not winning.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Carcenomy wrote:
SpidersWeb wrote:Are the heads actually broken? I recently went through my 5.25 drives, and found that some needed pressure applied to the head with the cleaning disk (with isopropyl) running inside to actually clean them - they were victims of questionable media too. Rather polished, but running well now, shiny heads.

I'd been cleaning the heads with isopropyl on cotton buds, which worked the first few times, but now... now we're not winning.

I'd agree with spidersweb... I clean with isopropyl cotton buds and have struck situations where I thought I "wasn't winning"... What I did find was that if dirt (especially any sort of media coating) gets a chance to stay on for any length of time, the small amounts of heat produced will make the grime get a "polished" and somewhat ceramic quality to it, where no matter how patiently you rub with ISO, it won't come off.

It ends up requiring some careful pressure, and comes off with a click reminiscent of plaque in a session with the dental hygienist. The main thing you have to do is be careful to support the head so that you don't bend any mounting spring-metal.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Interesting. I'll investigate this when I pick all my gear back up next week.
Carcenomy

Postby acsi on Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 am

Well I wound up buying 20 tapes off Ron Turner via trade me which should arrive on Monday. And then Murphy's Law kicked in, the very day after I happened to spy 7 tapes sitting in the obsolete stock bin of one of the branches I look after.

So I now have some tapes and have successfully tested saving 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 after loading it via the laptop. Reloaded fine. :D
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby caluser2000 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 am

Great thing is you're not going to run out of tapes in a hurry.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby Swivel on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:03 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vint ... 586920.htm
Swivel

Return to Vintage Items Available