Dick Smith stores in the 80's - Far North

Share your reflections or stories of New Zealand's computing past

Dick Smith stores in the 80's - Far North

Postby kevman3d on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Howdy!

Its been a while since I came and posted here - The reason is that I'm compiling a lot of old memories, and I was wondering if anybody who may have been living in the North Island could recollect there being a Dick Smith in Kerikeri those many years ago? I seem to recall one, where I first saw both the System 80 and later the VZ 200, but I can't be sure of it as my brains a little foggy.

I'm doing the 100 Day Challenge here - my aim is to create a daily CG image based on an 80's-inspired memory. Its a case of getting my facts straight before I blurb some nonsense that is the result of a worn-out brain cell... lol! :lol:

Should be fun, if not a little hectic making an image a day - I should know better as anything CG will be a lot more work then it looks (I also have a bad habit of getting a little carried away with my ideas). I caught up with my mum today taking my sisters kids for a day out - she happened to recall a lot of things as well when I interrogated her :wink: And of course, that then spins off a few more things I remember from that time... :D

Cheers if anybody knows re: DSE. If not, I'll assume it wasn't a foggy memory and roll with it anyway.

Kev.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: Dick Smith stores in the 80's - Far North

Postby RonTurner on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:48 pm

I have a dick smith catalog with 1982 on it, really looks in brand new condition (like its never been read through), he called his customers "little dicks" (effectionately)

There is a chance, sometimes catalogs list store locations on the back cover, I will check it out but wont be able to look for it until after weekend.
RonTurner

Postby kevman3d on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm also trying to track down some images/logo's for stores if anybody here recalls advertising in old mags or knows where I can find them... Thought I'd ask on the random offchance...

Brian Jolly (Kerikeri branch I recall sold Commodore gear)
Smith and Browns (big franchise, I thought I'd be able to find at least something online!)

I can't even have imagined just how hard it was going to be to find this stuff online... :?
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 pm

RonTurner wrote:I have a dick smith catalog with 1982 on it...

There is a chance, sometimes catalogs list store locations on the back cover, I will check it out but wont be able to look for it until after weekend.

That'd be awesome. If not there, not going to be too fussed... Its more a chance to get any additional reference and resource materials and make sure my brain hasn't been corrupted too much over the years. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby tezza on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Here's one with a Newmarket, Auckland address.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/sys ... prices.jpg
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 am

tezza wrote:Here's one with a Newmarket, Auckland address.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/sys ... prices.jpg

Ta for that, but I'm really after the existance of one in Kerikeri... Its that long-lost memory kinda thing... Actually, a few places in Kerikeri sold computers - I recall a small store in a tiny arcade, but we're talking almost 25 years ago now.

I'll probably leave the Dick Smith memory til later in case anybody here has spotted something (or not). Now the hard part is deciding on just what I start with - its day 1 (of the next 100 - yipes).
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby RonTurner on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Store locations:

Avondale 1795 great north road
Hamilton 450 anglesea street
Papatoetoe 26 east tamaki road
Newmarket 98 Carlton gore road
Christchurch corner victora St and bealey Ave

From 1984-1985 catalog.

I have been into the Victora st and Bealey Ave store myself, I believe thats the store I would have purchased my VZ200 :D
RonTurner

Return to History