Switch to full style

An Interesting Apple clone

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

An Interesting Apple clone

by RonTurner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 pm

this evening while going through my hoard (The dead computer section) I managed to get an Apple clone working
by swapping out the PSU, its labelled IMC-640E

An interesting thing that caught my eye was that there is a 6502 CPU and right next to it is a Z80 CPU so its Dual CPU
and 64K ram, the other thing was the OS is on 4 eproms in Card form.

Its ugly, weighs a tonne in a big steel case, and has an external Keyboard (also labeled IMC) and two internal drives (hence the weight)

No brand names, but it does run on a Sundox PSU, made in Tiawan as it happens.

There is also a spare motherboard for it which makes me wonder why word Z80 has been scrapped of the CPU on this one.

Does anyone know anything about these ? im not saying its an amazing find or anything, just the first time I have seen
both Z80 and 6502 on an Apple (clone) and the Z80 is not on a Card.

At first glance the motherboard arrangement looks like Apple 2 without the Apple 2e Keyboard socket, but there are 8 x 64 bit RAMS
meaning its an Apple 2e clone.

There is also another card installed that has a Quartz Crystal, an IC labelled HD-6845-SP & HD46505SP and about a dozen descrete logic IC's.
which I believe is a display driver ? but no wires coming off it (there is a two pin header, not attached to anything), I got picture
through composite.

The computer greets you with "HELLO" instead of "APPLE ][", overall the computer looks more PC desktop than Apple 2 genre.
RonTurner

Re: An Interesting Apple clone

by tezza » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes, I had heard of these dual processor Apple clones from someone else. Essentially the same as an Apple II+ (or maybe IIe) with a Z80 softcard. Two computers in one as it could run Apple DOS and CP/M.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin