Repairing an Acorn Electron

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Repairing an Acorn Electron

Postby matsondawson on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:00 pm

What a palava, the people who wrote the ROM on these things should be shot!
If they keyboard has a fault the whole thing just dies with screen corruption, not even a how's your father!
I've spent two days fixing an electron, and every time I think it's fixed something dies again, all keyboard related.
4 keys and a weird copper ribbon (almost as crap as the connector on a spectrum keyboard) had to be replaced from a donor electron.
matsondawson

Re: Repairing an Acorn Electron

Postby matsondawson on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Also, can someone tell me if the electron can output colour on the composite video connector? I get colour via RF but not composite.
matsondawson

Postby tezza on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Matt,

I know nothing about these machine so can't be much help. Does the keyboard work in a similar way to a BBC? Documents for the latter might be easier to find on the web.

That is unusual though. In most machines the only symptom of a faulty keyboard is that keys don't work.

"donor electron". I'm not sure if that was a deliberate pun or not but I like it. :)

I've just had an exciting time (-NOT) regarding a keyboard and one of my Colour Genies. But that's another story...
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby matsondawson on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I noticed last night on my BBC Master some of the keys aren't working, opening it I found it uses the same key switches as the Electron.
Does anyone have a spare keyboard for a bbc or electron lying around that I can use?
matsondawson

Return to General