Any idea of what its worth

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Any idea of what its worth

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Still sorting through stuff left over from the company I closed down some years ago, to my surprise I found I still had a Pentium socket 200 MHz CPU still new in a sealed box , I can't decide whether to keep it or put in on trade me, if I do what should I expect as a price as this will probably be the deciding factor as to me keeping it just in case or putting up for auction

Also found a number of IBM laptops about the 100MHz with a number or eexternal floppy drives and a box of batteries for them.
So I will have to test them, to my memory they were working when the were taken in by the company, and I never got round to selling them.
WelshWizard

Re: Any idea of what its worth

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 pm

From memory the Pentium 200 was the top of the food chain before the MMX models arrived. I'm really not sure what that'd be worth though, as most folk would just get the MMX instead. Would need to be a pretty specific machine to want the non-MMX variation. I'd stab at a value of ~40 dollar.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Personally I'd keep it.
Not vintage enough for people to fight over with bids, but a cool item nonetheless.

Laptops not sure on, but they might need a few more years too. I think I paid something like 20 or 40 for my 386 laptop around 2 years ago.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby recycled on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm

tobiasschnell wrote:Have you any personal experience with this configuration or you have just heard about this.

Ok, I'll put my 2c worth in. It was indeed the fastest socket 5/7 chip Intel manufactured until the MMX line replaced it, then the top speed was 233MHz - wow what an improvement (not counting the mobile pentiums up to 300MHz). A quick search will prove this, or even visit Intels website. It couldn't be easier.

Many years ago I built a system with an ASUS motherboard and a Genuine Intel Pentium 200. The chip I bought was one of those 'last of line' processors, quite literally within two weeks of my purchase the MMX chips were on the market and I thought I'd wasted my money. Now, it'd be a good idea to properly identify your CPU as these end of era chips were pentium MMX chips with the MMX disabled - yes, really, 'the pin was not connected to the die'. But you did get the benefit of the 32kB level 0 cache, up from 16kB, and a better chip layout, which was good for about a 10% performance boost, kind of a nice farewell to the old man. Can't confirm I had one, the motherboard used the HX chipset which was 'the fastest' pentium chipset intel made, but speed tests always rated my system above 210MHz (on bootup it was 199MHz, and in those days, ASUS didn't go in for overclockability, had 60/66MHz FSB and up to 3x multiplier on the board only, so you can work out what the default was :o) System ran rock solid too, and was seriously fast. (After six months I doubled the RAM, I'd started using Windows 95, 'what intel gives, Microsoft takes away'. The processor was more than up for it, the only other upgrade I gave the system was a PowerVR 3d add on card).

Ah, but just a few months later the super 7 boards and AMD K6-2 were where the real action was at ;o)

What your chip is worth? Peanuts. It would have to be quite spectacularly new (still in shrink wrap) to interest any collectors, or from some ultra rare fab that only made a handful of them. If you can get interest above $10 by auction, It would be a good sale. Pentiums are not that scarce yet. The motherboards on the other hand don't seem to survive as well - or ther are hundreds of them hidden in somebody's warehouse... wish he'd sell some of them!
recycled

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 am

still in shrink wrap, But I will end up just keeping it in the back of the cupboard where I found it.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm

I'd love to have it but I'm pretty sure my Compaq can't support a 200MHz CPU, the old OPTi Viper chipset won't tolerate anything that highly clocked. :(

tobiasschnell wrote:
Carcenomy wrote:From memory the Pentium 200 was the top of the food chain before the MMX models arrived. I'm really not sure what that'd be worth though, as most folk would just get the MMX instead. Would need to be a pretty specific machine to want the non-MMX variation. I'd stab at a value of ~40 dollar.

Have you any personal experience with this configuration or you have just heard about this.

Yeah I do have personal experience with this configuration. A friend had a classic 200 when I was a younger chap, you could say there was a bit of jealousy since the rest of us were lucky to have 75s and 100s.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Return to General