Switch to full style

Hello there!

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hello there!

by Atari_ste » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Wade. I live in Christchurch and as a youngster was given the option of either a "new bike" or an Atari 800XL "Family Pack". That was a pretty easy decision for me as i already had a love for everything electronic, which wasn't much back in the 80's. I left the 8bit world a while later and started getting into IBM XT equipment in the late 80's and later ran a BBS called Alternate Reality in Auckland.. Fast forward a few decades and i've decided to relive my past and started to collect a few Atari bits n pieces. I was short on cash a while ago and sold my prize Atari 800XL boxed with receipts from 1986 and manuals, also the mint Atari 1040STFM I has stashed away. Anyway, the current collection contains an Atari 400 in quite good condition (rontuner was bidding against me on TM :) ) an Atari 520STe and Colour Atari screen (those are getting rare) I just picked up an Atari 600XL and a bunch of cartridges as well which is in average condition. I need some help in obtaining a Atari ST mouse. So if anyone has one they would like to part with for some cash please let me know!. Thanks very much.
Atari_ste

Re: Hello there!

by RonTurner » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Good to see more vintage computer enthusiasts located in Christchurch :)

I have one of those Colour atari monitors, im super impressed by how sharp the picture is (but a little on the small size)

did you pick up the STe & Monitor from Molten Media ? (they had one listed not long ago)
RonTurner

by Atari_ste » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Ron, yes from Molten Media, they are just up the road from where i work, so nice and handy. Have been testing it tonight (as far as i can without a mouse) seems to work fine which is good.

Your right about the quality of those screens, outstanding.

Cheers,

Wade

RonTurner wrote:Good to see more vintage computer enthusiasts located in Christchurch :)

I have one of those Colour atari monitors, im super impressed by how sharp the picture is (but a little on the small size)

did you pick up the STe & Monitor from Molten Media ? (they had one listed not long ago)
Atari_ste

by RonTurner » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:24 pm

I have purchased serveral 520st's from Molten Media, they seem to have the 520st market cornered, that and the Mac market. :)
Last edited by RonTurner on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonTurner

by Atari_ste » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Gav, They sure do, mind you they probably have all sorts turning up for recycling or whatever they do with it. Do you keep all our gear or refurb then sell on trademe?
Atari_ste

by tezza » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forums Wade,

I missed out on the whole Atari thing in the 1980s but I have since familiarised myself with them and I have to say they stack up well alongside the competition!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by RonTurner » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 pm

I Strip them down and clean them as I get new ones,

Ive been trying to move on some extra's , I actually binned three sundox's last week (dead mobo's and missing spacebars,
the spacebars tend to fall off on them), and broke down two Apple clone's into parts, and dumped another G3.
and im thinking of selling my Acorn, just narrowing thing's down a little.

Im refurbishing the remaining good 3 x Sundox, two are now going, but to start with all 6 where dead !

Ive got boxes of magazines and they tend to take up to much space so thinking of moving some on, im not so keen
on the big heavy stuff anymore...

Im not selling up, Just tiding things up a little

I have 3 Atari 520st 's myself :D

was really tempted to try and sniper the last one you got (the 520) :wink:

My computer locked when I tried to bid on the other Atari (that Laptop is running Winslow 7 so im not surprised)
but was ready to drop out anyway, im gutted because it looked very mint :cry: but you kicked my butt fair and square on
that auction 8)
RonTurner

by Atari_ste » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Gav. Yes the STe is running pretty good, but no mouse, almost tempted to buy one off eBay, there is a brand new one on there, the only killer is the freight from the UK. I guess I will just stick to the Atari gear for now. I almost was tempted to start getting into vintage commodore, but thought better of it. :)

Did you read that article some guys in the states are trying to dig up a landfill to find Atari Cartridges, in particular ET!! I remember playing it on my friends 400 many moons ago.

Anyway mate, hope you have a good weekend.

Wade
Atari_ste

by RonTurner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Atari_ste wrote:Did you read that article some guys in the states are trying to dig up a landfill to find Atari Cartridges, in particular ET!! I remember playing it on my friends 400 many moons ago.

Didn't hear about that, but I have heard Old PC's have gold inside them, But when the computer (with gold inside)
arrived, I couldn't see any, guess its what they call "fools gold" :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

I bet you there are copies of "Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh Eating Chickens From Mars" in that landfill
RonTurner

by Atari_ste » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

RonTurner wrote:
Atari_ste wrote:Did you read that article some guys in the states are trying to dig up a landfill to find Atari Cartridges, in particular ET!! I remember playing it on my friends 400 many moons ago.

Didn't hear about that, but I have heard Old PC's have gold inside them, But when the computer (with gold inside)
arrived, I couldn't see any, guess its what they call "fools gold" :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

I bet you there are copies of "Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh Eating Chickens From Mars" in that landfill

Ha bound to be.. The great american road race was one of my all time 8bit favs. Wonder if i can find that in the Burwood landfill?.. :)
Atari_ste