... a new member from Italy.

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

... a new member from Italy.

Postby calpurnio on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 am

Hello everyone!

First of all I want to thank Terry for accepting me in this community, I really appreciated.
Secondly... let's talk a little about me: I am Italian and "relatively" young ( hehe in my thirties, let's say! :) ) and I've always had a big passion for computers and electronics in general, since I was a baby, in the 80's :)
At that time my parents couldn't afford to buy me what I would have desired (a personal computer) so - beside a short parentesis playing with an Atari 2600 - I had to wait till mid 90's, when I was in High School, for my first real computer machine.
It was anyway an used machine (a 486 DX) of a generic Italian brand whose symbol was a Lemon, "Lemon Computers", gently given by a classmate who passed instead to a Pentium class...it was right the starting era of Pentiums. Anyway, unlike my friends, I've always been more interested in Software packages rather than Games.
Since then I never really lost the passion for PC's and now that I'm older enough to take some satisfactions, I became a simple collector of old equipments... basically the desired objects I couldn't have when I was so young :)
Actually I have many desktop machines... the oldest one is a Commodore PC10, dated around 1984, followed by an Epson PCe (8088), other three Commodores PC10-III in different configurations (and now with some problems) and a big heavy Olivetti M28 with a 286 cpu. I avoid telling much about the rest, but there are some 386's, 486's, a Cyrix and the really first Pentiums (like the P60 Batman's Revenge). Oh, I also have an Acorn Archimedes A7000 plus with an ARM processor.
I collect a lot of original Vintage Software as well, and I have many versions of DOS, SCO Unix, OS/2, Windows, and Office in original retail packages.

In short, I got to know about this forum only last night, when I was searching for a possible solution to a self-damage (my fault !) done to one of my Commodores :(
So from the search engine I found some threads in this forum, where I "got to know" real experts in difficult technical stuff, who can eventually give me a hint/help with my "little" problems.
When I collect old equipment myself, I tend to get machines always in a working status, because my knowledge of self-electronic repair is unfortunately really close to zero... :( and I really mean it!
But I can always try to learn! It's never too late, hah?

Well, I think that's enough for now...
See you!
calpurnio

Re: ... a new member from Italy.

Postby tezza on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:45 am

Welcome to the Forums calpurnio,

There are one or two active members here that really know their early PCs. You should have a bit in common.

I used to have a Commodore PC-10 III. A nice machine but I just didn't have the room for it. Another forum member picked it up for $20.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Introductions