Hello

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hello

Postby pknz on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi, new user here.

Long time Mac user, (purebred - not a switcher), using Macs since System 7 right through to Mac OS X 10.6.

Joined with a view to hopefully track down/relive my youth by acquiring some classic Macs.

Cheers,
pknz
pknz

Re: Hello

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Welcome to the fold mate!

out of curiousity, what sort of classic macs are you looking for? I've got more than a couple lying around that I could happily part with! :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 am

Welome PKNZ,

I'm currently in the middle of restoring three Apple Lisas. Two down, one to go. It's a hard row to hoe but someone has to do it :)

I'm also interested in acquiring a Mac 128 at some stage, for the collection. I'm be competing with a few others on here for that one I think.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the forums. Participating is a good way to get to know others involved in our rather unusual hobby.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby pknz on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I grew up from a young age on a (if memory serves me correctly) Macintosh Classic II - mainly playing Shuffle Puck Cafe... So if I could track one of those down that would be a start.

The Lisa and 128K were both released and discontinued before I was born.
pknz

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Ah-hah, so you grew up in the System 7 in Schools sort of period then. So the sort of classic Macs you'll be looking for are gems like the Classic II, the LCII, LC575/Performa580 etc. Very doable... I might even be able to help out there :)
Carcenomy

Postby pknz on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Sort of... by the time I was at school - let me correct that - by the time my primary school had a computer suite, (mid to late 90s) it was a suite of white Performas, running At Ease, a handful of games, Kids Pix Studio, AppleWorks (Claris), Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor, and most importantly Marathon 2 (demo), which was interesting to play at a Christian primary school.

Around this time, our home computer - (the Macintosh Classic was a treat from my dad's work that he brought home every once in a while in one of those black carry bags) - was also a Macintosh Performa, - the black (180Mhz), Directors Edition, with remote. We had that Performa for a long time, I remember running Mac OS 8.6 from a zip disk, while the internal harddrive ran Mac OS 9.1 (it couldn't handle 9.2 - it could, but very poorly if I recall correctly).

Mac OS 8.6 ran much smoother and I think I only used 8.6 for a particular game, it may have been Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far. So my youth mainly involved playing games on the Performa, (Age of Empires, Star Craft, Marathon Infinity, F/A-18 Hornet. Dino Park Tycoon, Glider Pro, Sim Tower, Apeiron, Maelstrom.... and many others.

I can also recall my dad running into problems with Conflict Catcher on a regular basis and rebuilding the desktop - which meant I wasn't able to use the computer for a while.

I'm quite surprised there aren't a heap of Performas on TradeMe.
pknz

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Theoretically there should be, but many schools got roped into the ideals of eDay early in the piece.

My Mac collection is a bit sporadic, there's an LC-II, an LC-III, a Classic II, a Performa 580CD, an LC575, a PowerMac 7200/120, 7300/200 and a 7600/200 with a Sonnet G3. The cream on top is my iBook G3 SE 466FW :)
If you're interested I'd be more than willing to part with some of them... hell I'm a freaking Commodore man yet I've ended up with this list of Macs. How is this I don't even! And I think the local Maori school was intending on giving me a freaking Performa 5260/120 too...
Carcenomy

Return to Introductions