It started with a VIC 20!

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

It started with a VIC 20!

Postby iquestmike on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi!

My initial reason for signing up to this forum was to look for a good home for a couple of classic computers unearthed while helping a friend sort through stored stuff.

I've always been keen on electronics and I guess my career path was defined the day I built a crystal set at age 8 while living in my home town of Nelson. My first real computer was a brand new VIC 20 purchased for the incredible sum of $900 in 1981. Ten weeks wages as a young apprentice back then! What a great learnng tool. It was heavily modified and had all sorts of "growths" attached when I finally laid it to rest. On the vintage computer front, the company I worked for had a Commodore PET for accounts, later upgraded to a CP/M based Osborne luggable! :lol:

Since then I've personally had a Hong Kong clone Apple 2E (1984) before finally succumbing to the PC world with a 4.77MHz clone in 1989.

I live in Hamilton and am technical director of a company developing environmental monitoring hardware and software.

Michael Cook
iquestmike

Re: It started with a VIC 20!

Postby tezza on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for posting. I remember the Vic-20! Colour and sound for under $1000. It was amazing for the time..lol

Can you remember the kind of drives used on the PETs you mention, and whether the software was NZ written?

Terry
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Introductions