PS/2 Power Supply or PS/2s

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Re: PS/2 Power Supply or PS/2s

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 pm

False alarm.

Was working on the RT + new Linux box and got bored during an install. Disconnected the 50Z PSU, and it powered up, went looking for shorts and found a tantalum cap with 0.2 ohms across it's centre and outer pins. Removed it, 50Z is running fine again :)

Had two visual black dots and with three legs - looked like an orange ghost from PacMan.

p.s. as much as I despised the PS2 series when younger, the whole "clip clip" thing with the PS/2 50 is awesome - takes like 30 seconds to dismantle it right to the motherboard.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:11 am

Yes, I like the way it clips together too. Modular.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:06 pm

If you're wanting to retrofit an ATX power supply guts into a PS/2 PSU, start looking for 1U server supplies. They're long and thin to fit in the tight confines of a rack system.

As for the Commodore... yeah the CMOS battery thing sucks. But the PC10 really was pretty well loaded for an XT, so props to them for that. If you can get a dump of the content from that 20MB drive I'd be super grateful, my PC10 is going to get a new hard drive installed at some point and when it does, that stuff's going to be like gold.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Cheers, yeah I've also noticed quite a few HP/Compaq desktops have similar long PSUs and I'll certainly end up needing to do this at some stage - just prefer to put it off as long as possible as I can see it being quite time consuming. I'd love to get more machines of that early PS/2 era though - unlike the later machines the 50 feels like somebody actually put some effort in to designing it.

For the PC-10 stuff I'll need to hook the Epson drive back up and get the DOS / Utilities off it, but if anyone is interested in the BASIC games I popped them online a while back - http://www.baudband.net/downloads/xt_games.zip (Chrome gives a not commonly downloaded warning which is quite annoying - I should sort that). One or two of them require ANSI.SYS from memory otherwise the menu displays funny.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Previous

Return to Vintage Items Wanted