Old machines/periph/consoles (dead & headed for trash)

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Old machines/periph/consoles (dead & headed for trash)

Postby kevman3d on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Just a question for everybody really... ( I can already imagine my wife rolling her eyes at me if she knew I was posting this... :lol: )

If anyone's looking to just trash faulty/dead machines that no longer work, please don't... I enjoy the visual design and look of old home machines. I'd rather collect them and see them became display pieces at home then become land fill.

I'm looking for home computers (with their keyboards at least 95-100% intact), old consoles, external peripherals (like classic FDD cases), etc, etc if they're laying about dead and headed for the refuse center/skip bin to make space. I don't want old PC's btw. I have enough of those at home already... lol! :)

Free is definitely what I'm looking to pay here - I can tell you they would go to a good home (or at least stored downstairs under one until I have time to clean them) and not into a skip bin. This is solely for my personal collection and enjoyment - I'm looking for anything that I can clean up - and I'm even thinking I may use as an excuse to try my hand at a few Raspberry Pi 'retro' projects (I have a couple of old broken C64's (from Spidersweb the other year) I'm still planning on trying that with).

As I don't drive and I live in Auckland, I would pay for shipping from wherever if it is something I want (obviously I won't want to take everything) and the shipping won't cost an arm and a leg to get it here. If this sounds like something you are keen on offering, just PM me. If I can help you clean up a little, as well as keep a little of the past from becoming the foundations under a new motorway development...

Its a bit of an odd request, but hey... I'm odd like that.
Last edited by kevman3d on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: Old machines/periph/consoles (dead & headed for trash)

Postby RonTurner on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 pm

I use any non-functional computers as a source of spare parts, I usually find only one ic has stopped the entire computer from functioning so they are full of usable parts.
RonTurner

Postby kevman3d on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:29 pm

RonTurner wrote:I use any non-functional computers as a source of spare parts, I usually find only one ic has stopped the entire computer from functioning so they are full of usable parts.

I know exactly what you mean there. Spare parts are definitely the best use for any non-functioning machine these days. :D

This was more a request based on those times when people have a clear out and dump old dead machines that are cluttering the garage (for instance, machines that have been completely butchered for usable parts, or things that have become hoarded rather then collected and there's no interest in attempting to restore them).

I figure if anybody ever runs into that situation where they just plan to dump dead gear into the skip or refuse (god forbid)... I don't think many of us would, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. :mrgreen:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby tezza on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:33 am

yes I like to have at least one "spare" of my collection machines for spare parts. For most I've only got one copy though.

One of the problems with passing things onto people who don't live locally..even for free... is the packing and shipping required for large items like whole computers and screens. Small items are ok but having just packed up an Apple monitor and IIe + drive for a Trade Me sale I can say it's a big job when your time is limited (i.e. full time job and other commitments). I hate throwing things in the trash which I think collectors can get use out of, but I can understand why busy people do it if pick-ups are not possible.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:10 pm

tezza wrote:I hate throwing things in the trash which I think collectors can get use out of, but I can understand why busy people do it if pick-ups are not possible.

I can understand that entirely - if you're working full time, the last thing you want to do at the end of the day is spend an hour (or more) trying to find boxes, pack up and organise shipping for a bunch of gear, then have to find time during the day to get to the post office (and probably means dragging boxes into work, etc). :(

To be honest, I don't mind paying a little for dead gear (rather then expect free) but I'm thinking that would obviously have to be high enough to cover someone's time to be worth the effort.

Anyway, better away and look at spending some Saturday away from the temptation of eBay and Trademe. :roll:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to Vintage Items Wanted