Image problem with Apple Composite IIe monitor

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Image problem with Apple Composite IIe monitor

Postby shomenno on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Hello,

Was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on diagnosing what is wrong and what repair to effect with regards to my Apple Colour Composite monitor for the IIe. Essentially the image displayed on the screen is bowed along the hoizontal axis, thus it is bowed or pinched towards the center of the screen. The pincushion control is largely ineffectual in altering the image to any degree.

I know I could easily replace the monitor with another generic composite type but really want to preserve what I have as ascetically the current monitor is the match for the IIe. On a personal level I rather like the styling Apple did with the Apple IIe Platinum and the monitor, years on it still holds a certain class!

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

Shomenno

P.S. I have also posted this on another vintage forum so apologies if someone finds this tedious reading. However, wherever I get replies I will try to keep either posting up to date with my progress as I am sure this not an isolated fault and my provide a useful resource to others.
shomenno

Re: Image problem with Apple Composite IIe monitor

Postby mrad01 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:46 pm

I just fixed a Apple //e greenscreen display with a similar issue. Basically, I recapped the vert and horiz board areas. Just read the cap values off the board and buy the equiv from <insert electronics store>. I just grab them from Jaycar.

Marcus

shomenno wrote:Hello,

Was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on diagnosing what is wrong and what repair to effect with regards to my Apple Colour Composite monitor for the IIe. Essentially the image displayed on the screen is bowed along the hoizontal axis, thus it is bowed or pinched towards the center of the screen. The pincushion control is largely ineffectual in altering the image to any degree.

I know I could easily replace the monitor with another generic composite type but really want to preserve what I have as ascetically the current monitor is the match for the IIe. On a personal level I rather like the styling Apple did with the Apple IIe Platinum and the monitor, years on it still holds a certain class!

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

Shomenno

P.S. I have also posted this on another vintage forum so apologies if someone finds this tedious reading. However, wherever I get replies I will try to keep either posting up to date with my progress as I am sure this not an isolated fault and my provide a useful resource to others.
mrad01

Re: Image problem with Apple Composite IIe monitor

Postby shomenno on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks for pointers marcus,
I just cracked the case but was not able to locate the part of the circuit board dedicated to vert or horiz. Might have to track down schematics or fully dismantle the monitor for a good look. Once again cheers for the pointers :D
shomenno

Return to Repair and Restoration