Hi from Poland

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hi from Poland

Postby frostbp on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

Hello,

My name is Paweł. I'm 28' and I live in Poland. I'm a vintage computers geek. I've started my computer „career” in 1997. My first machine was a typical (for it's time) PC with Pentium 133 Mhz, 16 MB Ram and 2 GB HDD. But even if I'm a PC kid, I've always feel that I lost something because I was to late for 8-bit era:)
frostbp

Re: Hi from Poland

Postby RonTurner on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 pm

frostbp wrote:Hello,

My name is Paweł. I'm 28' and I live in Poland. I'm a vintage computers geek. I've started my computer „career” in 1997. My first machine was a typical (for it's time) PC with Pentium 133 Mhz, 16 MB Ram and 2 GB HDD. But even if I'm a PC kid, I've always feel that I lost something because I was to late for 8-bit era:)

8 bit was the best era, everything after that is a PC ie basically a dead slow version of what we still use today, dead boring and dull, just like the comerical 1984 ! The PC and its inauspicious DOS ended my interest in computers until 20 years of development then the PC was finally fast enough and advanced enough that you can actually enjoy using one.

The 80's computer has colour and character, they where new, interesting and powerful, then big plonker win OS comes along, many thousands would have nodded off while waiting for a page to load using the terrible IE software, something they could never fix until recently, they made all computers beige and took away any colour so you knew what to expect..... the next release of another OS two steps ahead of the powerfullest PCs available meaning you would have to spend max dollar on the latest cpu etc to try and get the plonker machine open a file before you nod off for a nap.

I hated the P1 and the 90's computing.
RonTurner

Postby LilJoe on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm

frostbp wrote:But even if I'm a PC kid, I've always feel that I lost something because I was to late for 8-bit era:)

I know how you feel, mate. Completely missed the 8bit era too.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby tezza on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes, I found once we moved into the 1990s, into the era of Wintel boxes Apple's many-model beign boxes, computing (at least in respect to the hardware) lost it's interest to me as a hobby.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby mrad01 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:57 pm

tezza wrote:Yes, I found once we moved into the 1990s, into the era of Wintel boxes Apple's many-model beign boxes, computing (at least in respect to the hardware) lost it's interest to me as a hobby.

Agree.

Even today's endless pastures of Dell and Toshiba laptops, with sprinkles of Chromebooks and iPads reveals not that much fun for the hobbiest. No soldering zone.

All markets mature to a commodity eventually.
mrad01

Postby tezza on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:59 pm

mrad01 wrote:All markets mature to a commodity eventually.

Yep. Much as we might lament it, it's a natural progression.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Introductions