c64c casing - brand new...

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

c64c casing - brand new...

Postby kevman3d on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 am

http://kck.st/1DSpOkO

looks like this kickstarter has been funded. Pretty cool - us$35 for a brand new c64c case... manufactured from the original moulds, and us$10 international shipping.

Note that the photo's are actually 3D rendered images (which is the only reason I spotted this campaign) but its a cool option for replacing old cases. Its a pity the breadbin wasn't found by this guy as well, but nice stuff... limited moulds of beige and transparent can be added to the order, otherwise they will come in white, red and blue...:D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: c64c casing - brand new...

Postby Clym5 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:15 am

I saw this on Hackaday, and I'm very tempted to get one. I've got some good working C64C computers, but the case is usually tatty. I just can't decide on a colour!

And too bad he doesn't have keycaps and the breadbin mould, but nevertheless, very cool! Reasonable price too.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 am

The transparent option could be cool... :)

Its a pity this and the beige version is a one-off print for extra $$ when you pledge. I would have assumed it would be a standard colour, but I guess its likely to be the colour pigment would cost more. My father-in-law has 2 injection moulders. They're not cheap to run, and the plastic beads come in those general colours...

The only thing with this campaign is that I wish he would disclose that the images are not actual photo's - he did disclose at the end of the page that the moulds may have issues given the age, but unlikely. :wink:

Along with various others like RWAP, I am pretty happy to see that people are re-manufacturing new "old" computing items. It does mean keeping the past alive is a little easier when replacements can be sourced. 8)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby LilJoe on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:29 pm

That is so cool, there're not a bad price either. I wan't one :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby kevman3d on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:42 pm

In case anybody wants to see examples from the same artist. He's got a serious eye for detail when it comes to making realistic 80's machines...

https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/gallery/author/Thomas/Koch/
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm going to back it come payday, going for a red one and a translucent one. I already have some ridiculously tidy 64Cs but I feel like a fresh new clear one would be the bees knees... maybe a justification for a C64 Reloaded and round out a brand spankin' new Commodore 64? http://amigalounge.com/b36.html
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Return to Repair and Restoration