Hello World

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hello World

Postby RdM on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi all,

I stumbled across Terry's website and the forum while (perhaps sadly, but needs must raise funds!) in the process of getting a few vintage computer items out of storage, and checking, cleaning, preparing for potential sale... on TradeMe.

(I don't usually - this is the first time I ever have, in fact! - do "introductions" on forums - I usually plunge right in to posting (other interests include audio, valves, amateur radio, & more) - but some sense of nostalgia has gripped me tonight & over the last few days, as I contemplate penury, lentils, empty cupboards, and reflect on the vintage computer items stashed on shelves which reflect part of my modest journey... and which I should probably start clearing out, bachelor kipple & all...) ;=}))

I started, after a Christmas social conversation in the late 80's ("I'd love a computer, but I couldn't possibly afford one") the next day, with a Corona XT desktop, green screen, two floppies ("When you get used to directory structures I'll bring around a hard drive" - and he did, a week or two later, a giant 10MB brick...). Meanwhile I read up all I could...

(I remember browsing impossibly expensive books in Tech Books or Dymocks etc. to learn what I didn't know! ;-)

He was like a Johnny Appleseed of computing!

I still have that, maybe two of them, and the luggable version; learned some BASIC and remeber writing a small speaker cabinet design program (not TS parameters, just a variable truncated pyramid shape that gave volume for variable dimensions) and went to other hard drives (still probably have - what was it, ST-504? Winchester? - I'd have to look! - some), and then the plug in ISA card hard drives; I think I had an IBM XT too, but gone now; then a couple of IBM 286's, also I suspect gone now, although a few parts & lots of cards remain; CGA, EGA; should have some mono too; serial IO, parallel, clock, early VGA, etc. Absurd...

Used to love WordPerfect 5.1, when I picked up a 286... also have a 286 expansion card for an XT machine.

One day in the early 90's I bought a (the slowest possible!) 386 SX-25 motherboard from the Trade & Exchange, and wow! Windows 3.1, then 3.11! Laplink! Networks!

Always surfing frugally well behind the current wave, in relative poverty, self taught, picking up scrap or salvage & etc!

A further period with a bunch of Compaq 486 DX-66's, even a couple of 4-100's, then a big spend on a PII 266 (some $600 at the time!) which still gets use... amazingly!

But between times, a cute little Zenith SuperSport XT laptop, two floppies, no HD - which, with a pocket 14.4k modem (better than its built in 1200 baud!) actually got used in the '87 Auckland power blackouts (I had a Unix shell account with iconz at the time, IIRC). which I am intending to sell, shortly.

(Also an XT Sharp PC-7000 - but this is an intro, so maybe those can go in the trade area later ... ! ;=}))
(Along with an IBM monochrome monitor, & an IBM "Color Display", Model 8513(003) that I've cleaned & restored today!)

I've realised though that I'd quite like to ressurect the Corona(s) and see if I can retrieve my early data from them!

This post is coming from an IBM NetVista 1.6G Celeron - but normally the PII 266 has also been in almost daily use.
And recently, I've managed to ressurect two working laptops out of a bunch of 5 dead ones, NEC M400, 2.8GHz & 3.0GHz, that were headed for scrap... amazing!! (I can hardly believe my luck! - and the success in working them out!)

But browsing these and other linked forums has reminded me how much I enjoyed my starting period, and (although it doesn't reach back as far as some here!) that there will be quite some enjoyment in resurrecting those Corona's & etc!

I still have the original install disks & manuals for the Sharp & Coronas, & manuals for the Zenith.

So cheers, folks!

Maybe you'll see me posting a bit more, & possibly a few items on TradeMe or the Available/Wanted forums here.

~ Ross
RdM

Re: Hello World

Postby tezza on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forums amd thanks for the introduction. Nice to meet another vintagte computer enthusiast out there.

Resurrecting the Corona sounds like fun!

I wish I known an IBM Mono screen was lurking in the woodwork for Trade ME. I've just bid on one in Christchurch! (Arrg!).
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby RdM on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Terry;- thanks!

"I wish I known an IBM Mono screen was lurking in the woodwork for Trade ME. I've just bid on one in Christchurch! (Arrg!)."

Yes I saw that ... I might have started mine at 35, or so...
But I've still got to get it out, clean, inspect ...

And to check it, mean's I'll probably have to find a mono card & get an XT going...
Or maybe it will plug straight into a Corona, which might hopefully just "go". ;-)

I have a couple of other mono screens ... one I spray-painted black, with a metallic green power button (not an IBM)!

(It was with some delight & fascination I read through the "anti-yellow" articles & links just yesterday, too... )

Anyway, I'm in Auckland ... at least on the same island!

Cheers,

~ Ross
RdM

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Ah the Corona luggable... the old man had one years ago to run PK-Accounts. I vaguely recall reading that Corona were one of the first clone builders, and were also one of the first to get sued for using IBM BIOS code directly, back before Compaq, AMI and Award reverse engineered it. Interesting machines. Welcome to the fold anyway Ross!

And Tezza, I saw your bid there and laughed. I was seriously considering picking up those XTs, but if there's no monitor to go with things could be problematic ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 am

Carcenomy wrote:Ah the Corona luggable... the old man had one years ago to run PK-Accounts. I vaguely recall reading that Corona were one of the first clone builders, and were also one of the first to get sued for using IBM BIOS code directly, back before Compaq, AMI and Award reverse engineered it. Interesting machines. Welcome to the fold anyway Ross!

And Tezza, I saw your bid there and laughed. I was seriously considering picking up those XTs, but if there's no monitor to go with things could be problematic ;)

If you're serious about wanting those IBM's and a screen it can still be done. Just trump my bid by $1 and (assuming Ross's Mono IBM screen checks out) I won't put in any further bids but will negotiate to buy his instead. Shipping within Islands is cheaper than between so it makes sense for the both of us.

Is this a possible scenario?
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Naw don't worry bout it Tezz, looks like my gaming box is going to need an upgrade sooner rather than later so I'll deal with that before worrying about expanding my vintage collection. There's always more old gear out there :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Re: Hello World (IBM mono)

Postby RdM on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:01 pm

If you're serious about wanting those IBM's and a screen it can still be done. Just trump my bid by $1 and (assuming Ross's Mono IBM screen checks out) I won't put in any further bids but will negotiate to buy his instead. Shipping within Islands is cheaper than between so it makes sense for the both of us.

Is this a possible scenario?

Hi Terry,

Very busy yesterday, apologies for late responses...

Well, I checked out the IBM mono very late last night...
I've had 6 or so old small monitors on a shelf that I'd intended to clear, starting with that IBM colour 8513.
(there's also a few other mono monitors, including a green screen "Cordata" which belonged to a Corona desktop)

When I got down the IBM mono (it was on its side) I realised that I had no memory of using it (as with all the others) or, indeed, where it had come from. Perhaps it was passed on to me, or - sadly, looking at its condition, salvaged from a roadside - perhaps both.

Anyway, it looks in bad shape. Both cords have been cut, right where they exit under the case.
(This does not always mean inoperable - sometimes people just salvage the cable!)

The underside screws were all rusted, and the bottom dirty, perhaps symptomatic of it being dumped on a kerbside grass verge and later rescued. Indeed, remnants of some 'bird-strike" on the top... yet someone saved it!

Inside it looks fairly clean, apart from a little corrosion around the horizontal output transistor mounting plate.
No obviously failed components.

So, I'll hook up a mains cable - a video cable might take longer! - and see if there's at least a raster, or any sign of life.
(The IBM Color shows a green screen with an unplugged video cable - maybe the mono does soimething similar?)

I'll update shortly when I've done that; maybe good for parts, or even going and just needing a clean, new screws...

But there's a possibility that the ChCh one is the only one, at this stage, too. Back in a moment...

~ Ross
RdM

Postby RdM on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:16 pm

by RdM on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm
And to check it, means I'll probably have to find a mono card & get an XT going...
Or maybe it will plug straight into a Corona, which might hopefully just "go". ;-)

by Carcenomy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 pm
Ah the Corona luggable... the old man had one years ago to run PK-Accounts. I vaguely recall reading that Corona were one of the first clone builders, and were also one of the first to get sued for using IBM BIOS code directly, back before Compaq, AMI and Award reverse engineered it. Interesting machines. Welcome to the fold anyway Ross!

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

Turns out the Corona desktops have been stripped... only the two luggables look intact.

(I vaguely remember committing this 'crime' now, perhaps in the early '90s... fed up with the jet-aircraft sounding giant brick HDs, the cabinet size, and consoling myself that I had other, smaller, XT's anyway (this when I'd moved to 286's and my first 386, IIRC. But further, the incentive of those giant ali chassis, with acres of internal aluminium panels as well, for potential valve amplifier projects... :roll: )

But I did find some mono cards, and even identified one (and its mono/colour jumper settings) from a great video card database which I'll post elsewhere in the forum.

So I'll see if I can install it in something with an ISA slot to test the other mono monitors with.

~ Ross
RdM

Postby tezza on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm

RdM wrote:But there's a possibility that the ChCh one is the only one, at this stage, too. Back in a moment...
~ Ross

Yes, don't worry about it to much Ross. Having bid on the CHCH one I'm commited to it now, unless someone overbids me. Sounds like it might be the better of the two anyway.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby RdM on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Sadly it seems the EHT is absent.
Apparently a most common fault.
No static sensation on the CRT face, no blank green screen.

I haven't been able to locate a service manual.

The CRT filament lights up, but it seems to be powered by the low voltage PSU section (at a rough look) rather than by a turn or two around the EHT transformer as in some other circuits.

The (I nearly wrote "I assume"!) supposed HO transistor seems to be actually a low voltage PSU regulator.

Spent enough time on it; packed it back up.

Looks like the ChCh one is the only one around, at the moment.

~ Ross
RdM

Postby tezza on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 pm

RdM wrote:Spent enough time on it; packed it back up.

Looks like the ChCh one is the only one around, at the moment.

Ok Ross, thanks.
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Introductions