I/O error

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

I/O error

Postby andy120 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 pm

I am getting an I/O error when booting using the on board ide ports (KM-S4-1). How can i get it to access hard drives from a pci card?
Is there someone who can copy a bios onto a new chip, i have the chips.

Update
I have it as far as beginning to load from a HDD, at which time it powers down or sleeps, either way it does nothing. All power management stuff is off.
Ideas?

Andy
andy120

Re: I/O error

Postby LS120 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:13 pm

if you go into the bios and turn off the IDE1 & 2 controllers it should pick up the PCI IDE card and boot from it.

what you could also try is to remove the battery from the mo/bo for 30 mins with no power lead plugged into the wall outlet.

then see if it boots ok as could be a corrupt cmos setting..

mind jou those old jetway boards were not the best boards made..
LS120

Postby andy120 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm trying to find someone who can flash a new bios chip. I have the bios and chip but my attempts at it have failed.
These mb's seemed to offer the best range of cpu options. There is a couple of LS-486e's on ebay which look similar.
andy120

Postby LS120 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

can you boot from FDD ?? if so goto web site and get latest bios and a dos flash utility, make a boot disk and put utility and bios (bin) file on same fdd. then boot from it and run the flash util with a /? to list its options to flash the bios. then just type the whole thing in and re-flash it..

i could do it for you if you were in wellington and it boots on a fdd.

let me know if i can help...

p.s. i have only found an VL-Bus 486 board so far... still looking
LS120

Return to Repair and Restoration