Amiga 1200 Project

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Amiga 1200 Project

Postby Roux on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:40 am

Hi,

I thought I would share a quick project with an Amiga 1200 that I picked up

I recently discovered an Amiga 1200 for sale, it didn't come with a mouse or joystick but it was was being advertised with an external HDD. It was also noted that this Amiga had been used to run small animation files. I couldn't work out if the HDD was a branded proper external one like GVP, or a 3.5" running through a SCSI controller like a SCSI Squirrel, I was also thinking that maybe it might have some extra ram for the animation files - I decided not to ask so that it could be a surprise :)

It arrived well packaged, it was a little dusty as to be expected but looked in pretty good shape overall. The HDD turned out to be a 3.5" Seagate in a well padded box connected to the IDE port via a custom cable. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't something cooler but oh well! The bottom trap door was bulging slightly so I guessed there must be some ram added, I was very keen to open the case now!

The power supply was a little yellow, but measured nicely on my multi meter

I opened the case and was treated to a very nice surprise!!

A DKB Cobra 030 Accelerator @ 40MHz with the optional 68882 @ 33 MHz added and 8MB of Ram :D :D

Rom is version 3.0

It is a Rev 1D4 Board (The last A1200 board that Commodore made before they went belly up)

The ports are VERY clean and there is no sign of any rust

Case is in nice shape - a little dirty but otherwise good

The first thing on my list is a thorough cleaning, then I will replace the electrolytic capacitors as they are the original (very cheap) ones. I am hunting eBay now for a 128MB card for the Cobra and will look to replace the HDD with a CF

I will update this post soon as the project progresses
Roux

Re: Amiga 1200 Project

Postby Roux on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Wow! Forgot to update this :oops:

The machine was fully working with CF card and WHD load. I played around with this for a while but there was glitching issues with sound and video. The machine was then stripped and recapped , the accelerator card sold while board was away being repaired.

This 1200 is still in use today with a Phase 5 Blizzard 1260 and SCSI IV installed inside. Still using the CF Card with WB3.1 but would like to try 3.9
Roux

Postby Roux on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 pm

After a good cleaning

Inside the A1200

Tidied up the hack into the case for the old HDD cable.

The heart of the A1200

SCSI IV Module

WHD Load works without a hitch

Next step OS 3.9
Roux

Postby tezza on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Nice pictures Roux.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby mons2b on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Did you have to pay big dollars to buy that? They are almost as pricy as an Atari Falcon.
mons2b

Postby Roux on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:35 pm

tezza wrote:Nice pictures Roux.

Thanks Tezza. More to come soon
Roux

Postby Roux on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:37 pm

mons2b wrote:Did you have to pay big dollars to buy that? They are almost as pricy as an Atari Falcon.

Not too big :) I have been piecing this beast together slowly. I have managed to do part labour and trade deals for a lot of my Amiga stuff. I can't afford the price tags on the open market :?
Roux

Return to Repair and Restoration