Need a flyback for my CRT monitor

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Need a flyback for my CRT monitor

Postby nzoomed on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Anyone able to help locate a flyback / line output transformer for me?

I acquired a nice PC direct monitor that i have been trying hard to find one for some time, has a really nice picture and has RGB inputs at the back.
Anyway, it died on me within an hour of me having it running and i heard an arcing sound, when i removed the cover i could see the sparks popping out of the flyback, so i know its poked.

Ive removed it and its model and part number is a Sampo FEA209.

If anyone can help me find a replacement, or find a way to get a transformer to work from another monitor, i would be very grateful.

:)

Seems ironic that in this day i even wanted to get another CRT monitor. :P
nzoomed

Re: Need a flyback for my CRT monitor

Postby mons2b on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:25 pm

That brings back good memories! I used to enjoy reading their advertising, I didnt have the money to buy one. They made nice pc's. Id forgotten till your message. :)

I hope someone can help. What do you get with uncle google on that part number?
mons2b

Postby nzoomed on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 pm

mons2b wrote:That brings back good memories! I used to enjoy reading their advertising, I didnt have the money to buy one. They made nice pc's. Id forgotten till your message. :)

I hope someone can help. What do you get with uncle google on that part number?

I cant find much at all, other than a aftermarket part number and the company that makes them no longer stocks them.

Ive found a site that claims to have the service manual, but you have to pay for the PDF.
I know some of those sites are dodgy scam sites also.

The monitor was made by KFC (lol) model CA-1706 http://archive.hmvh.net/oldstuff/KFC_catalogue.pdf
nzoomed

Postby mons2b on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Finger licking good! just dont lick the flyback.

Worst case could you get non original parts to fit into that housing? You could get it looking working and keep the original parts incase you ever found an original flyback.
mons2b

Postby SeanKennedy on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Most if not all CRT recycling in Christchurch is done by Kilmarnock:

Kilmarnock

32 Riccarton Road
P O Box 8072
Riccarton
Christchurch, N.Z.
Ph: 03 348 5162
Fax: 348 5523
Email: sales@kilmarnock.co.nz

You might be able to get somethign there? They tend to completely disassemble stuff, so may have a pile of flybacks.
SeanKennedy

Postby nzoomed on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks heaps, i will give them a call and see if they can help :)
nzoomed

Postby whalemind on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:20 pm

If you're like me and don't know how to fix these things yourself, getting your hands on the service manual is proably going to be necessary so that you find the part number and an identical part. Having the part number makes it a lot easier when google searching. Last year I had a Sony Pvm monitor that needed a replacement flyback transformer. I googled around and found a forum where people with pvms were sharing PDFs of the service manuals. I found a few places that still had the flyback transformer I wanted in the end. From my experience most repair places just aren't going to be able to order parts for CRTs anymore through their old channels, but if say you can get the part you're halfway there.
whalemind

Postby nzoomed on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am

whalemind wrote:If you're like me and don't know how to fix these things yourself, getting your hands on the service manual is proably going to be necessary so that you find the part number and an identical part. Having the part number makes it a lot easier when google searching. Last year I had a Sony Pvm monitor that needed a replacement flyback transformer. I googled around and found a forum where people with pvms were sharing PDFs of the service manuals. I found a few places that still had the flyback transformer I wanted in the end. From my experience most repair places just aren't going to be able to order parts for CRTs anymore through their old channels, but if say you can get the part you're halfway there.

I can find a site or two that claim they have the service manual, but you have to pay for it, not sure if its worth doing it or not.

It may not help me much.
nzoomed

Postby mons2b on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Did you find a flyback? Sometimes you just have to do as Luke Skywalker. Switch off the targeting computer and use the force. If you cant find the exact manual work with something thats close and google the general procedure and give it a crack. Thats what I do anyway.
mons2b

Postby nzoomed on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 am

mons2b wrote:Did you find a flyback? Sometimes you just have to do as Luke Skywalker. Switch off the targeting computer and use the force. If you cant find the exact manual work with something thats close and google the general procedure and give it a crack. Thats what I do anyway.

Yeah, well thats what I want to do, if i can find another suitable.

This unit is different than most, it does not have the picture and focus adjuster on it, instead it has a seperate unit that connects to it.

I know a recycler who is getting a shipment of monitors next week, i may be able to find one i want, or even better a brand new monitor in its box.
nzoomed

Postby mons2b on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:45 am

Thats cool. If you get it sorted maybe you could replace the caps in there too. The high voltage ones get a hammering. youll get a nicer picture with new caps. Upto you though. Shame so many monitors scrapped. Future retro interested people will struggle to find one to experience the warm static infused glow of a CRT. Do you have the PC General computer to go with the monitor and if so can you share a picture of it?
mons2b

Postby nzoomed on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:07 am

mons2b wrote:Thats cool. If you get it sorted maybe you could replace the caps in there too. The high voltage ones get a hammering. youll get a nicer picture with new caps. Upto you though. Shame so many monitors scrapped. Future retro interested people will struggle to find one to experience the warm static infused glow of a CRT. Do you have the PC General computer to go with the monitor and if so can you share a picture of it?

Only got the monitor.

I have in the past had PC direct computers with pentum 1 or 2 CPU's, but that was a long time ago.

They were not as crappy as people thought, their computers actually had good parts, e.g the ones i worked on all had ASUS boards inside.

Anyway, ill get a picture of the screen soon, I would say its about 20 years old (1996?)
nzoomed

Postby nzoomed on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 am

nzoomed wrote:
mons2b wrote:Thats cool. If you get it sorted maybe you could replace the caps in there too. The high voltage ones get a hammering. youll get a nicer picture with new caps. Upto you though. Shame so many monitors scrapped. Future retro interested people will struggle to find one to experience the warm static infused glow of a CRT. Do you have the PC General computer to go with the monitor and if so can you share a picture of it?

Only got the monitor.

I have in the past had PC direct computers with pentum 1 or 2 CPU's, but that was a long time ago.

They were not as crappy as people thought, their computers actually had good parts, e.g the ones i worked on all had ASUS boards inside.

Anyway, ill get a picture of the screen soon, I would say its about 20 years old (1996?)

I recovered a 286 last month, real shame that the recycler scrapped the EGA monitor before i could get to it :(
nzoomed

Return to Repair and Restoration