The CD32 on TradeMe

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

The CD32 on TradeMe

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Alan's selling a CD32... if the bidding stays low enough, dibs! Both of mine that went away to Anthony Hoffmans were total losses, and I have too many games to not have one ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Re: The CD32 on TradeMe

Postby YetiSeti on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I was offered it in email but lost interest once he asked me to put forward a price. My concept was in the $60-$100 price range, but I didn't want to name an amount given the very high prices he's been getting for all his auctions lately. I'm feeling like he must (or will) have made as much selling the left over bits of the collection than what he got for main museum auction. I was much keener on the Amiga software in the couple of auctions (Space Quest, Police Quest, Loom etc) he listed which went for $100+ and $60+ but was thinking I might bid and get them for around the $20-$30 mark. Good luck with this, but there's a couple of really high bidders at the moment for Amiga stuff (stuo666 etc)

Does anyone know when the museum lot went?
YetiSeti

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I backed off once I realised you were after it, I spotted it by chance in new listing and just bid on it I did not even notice who had bid on it before I saw your post here :roll:
I see you have two others interested in it after me.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm

My only concern is where he says...
'Untested as I am not familiar with these devices'

Now honestly, Alan's a pretty top chap so I doubt there's any sinister intent... but it's just an A1200 with a CDROM drive, how can he be that unfamiliar with it? Plug it in, plug it into a TV, turn it on!

Will just have to keep an eye on it, I doubt I'll get it for as low as I can afford, they're selling in the vicinity of 100euro on Amibay at the moment.
Carcenomy

Postby lizardb0y on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm pretty sure I paid between $100-120 for each of mine, both boxed. They're a great console but I don't have nearly enough software for them.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 pm

If I don't get one soon can probably do a deal on my spare software dude. I have a few games, some are pretty crap but some are alright. The '32 is pretty receptive to discs burnt from your PC too, I had a working copy of Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo for mine, but with only one controller it was a bit crap :)
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:48 pm

seems not quite a A1200 , seems the A1200 could be made to think it was a CD32 but C= never did any hardware to make the CD32 into a A1200, and what third party stuff is around is very thin on the ground to do so.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, an A1200 with the AKIKO chunk-to-planar chip, and no interfaces for drives by default. But the SX-1 or SX32 modules allowed an internal hard drive and floppy connectors etc, which then gave you a machine that really was just an A1200 with a CD-ROM drive.

Or you could just use it to play games... just don't get anything that needs keyboard inputs! :)
Carcenomy

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Carcenomy wrote:My only concern is where he says...
'Untested as I am not familiar with these devices'

Now honestly, Alan's a pretty top chap so I doubt there's any sinister intent... but it's just an A1200 with a CDROM drive, how can he be that unfamiliar with it? Plug it in, plug it into a TV, turn it on!

Alan told me back when he was selling the Museum that the A1200 was the only one he hadn't really had.
YetiSeti

Return to Trade Me