Not sure if

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Not sure if

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Not sure if I overpaid for this item on Trade Me
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =428477181
Carcenomy should know better than me seeing as I have only just started getting C= stuff, at least with this one the seller states he has been using it on test.
WelshWizard

Re: Not sure if

Postby tezza on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

Hmm...well I'm no Commodore expert and since I secured my Vic-20s and C-64s I've stopped looking at prices.

Given that disclaimer the price paid seems within the ball park considering it works and all the extras (drives, software, joysticks etc). It's at the higher end though and I'm not sure I would have paid much more than that. The case seems to need some work. It certainly not up to display standards but that might not be important if you just want to play with it.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 am

I aquired a spare case on trade me for a $1 even has a spare C64c motherboard in it , seems the seller of the auction I won last night wants to courier it even though he had Buyer pickup on the auction :( and $20for sending across Auckland is high when it only costs $10 in petrol to get into the city and back.
Last edited by WelshWizard on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshWizard

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:18 pm

WelshWizard wrote:I aquired a spare case on trade me for a $1 even has a spare C64c motherboard in it , seems the buyer wants to courier it even though he had Buyer pickup on the auction :( and $20for sending across Auckland is high when it only costs $10 in petrol to get into the city and back.

If the auction said pickup available, then stand firm.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:39 pm

20 bucks to ship it across Auckland? Are you kidding?! I can have a complete Lenovo G570 notebook shipped from Auckland to Invercargill for less than 20 bucks, shipping a partially empty C64C for 20 across town is just robbery. Anyone would think the guy is trying to make up for only getting $1 for the shell?

As for the machine you did buy, it looks good. The price is a smidgeon higher than I'd feel comfortable paying, but with that said it does include a 1541-II, and does run. That makes a difference from a lot of used C64s I've seen recently. About the only servicing I'd do is fixing the keyboard (all C64 keyboard are the same internally so you can get the missing parts from any of your existing units) and cleaning the heads in the 1541-II. Just a cotton bud and some CO Contact Cleaner is all I've used for cleaning my 1541s, works a treat.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Carcenomy wrote:20 bucks to ship it across Auckland? Are you kidding?! I can have a complete Lenovo G570 notebook shipped from Auckland to Invercargill for less than 20 bucks, shipping a partially empty C64C for 20 across town is just robbery. Anyone would think the guy is trying to make up for only getting $1 for the shell?

As for the machine you did buy, it looks good. The price is a smidgeon higher than I'd feel comfortable paying, but with that said it does include a 1541-II, and does run. That makes a difference from a lot of used C64s I've seen recently. About the only servicing I'd do is fixing the keyboard (all C64 keyboard are the same internally so you can get the missing parts from any of your existing units) and cleaning the heads in the 1541-II. Just a cotton bud and some CO Contact Cleaner is all I've used for cleaning my 1541s, works a treat.

Its the auction I one for the C64c plus drive and bits and pieces thats $20 for post across town Paul sent the C64c case and mother board from way down country for only $7.50 so no gris there.

But to collect the auction I won last night its easier to just go and collect and pay at the same time and cheaper.

I had badly worded it so corrected it to make better sense, I was not in a good mood at the time,( when I found out he wanted to post it)
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Ah I see. Yeah just pick it up - there's a bit of girth in that pile of stuff so it likely would cost a bit to ship... heckle the guy, there's absolutely no need to ship it.

Finally a working 64 for you... you'll be stoked! :)
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Carcenomy wrote:Ah I see. Yeah just pick it up - there's a bit of girth in that pile of stuff so it likely would cost a bit to ship... heckle the guy, there's absolutely no need to ship it.

Finally a working 64 for you... you'll be stoked! :)

Still have to repair the B$%&*^ Keyboard though
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Didn't you have another C64C? Just swap the keyboards ;)
Carcenomy

Postby YetiSeti on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:46 am

WelshWizard wrote:Not sure if I overpaid for this item on Trade Me
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =428477181
Carcenomy should know better than me seeing as I have only just started getting C= stuff, at least with this one the seller states he has been using it on test.

You certainly haven't got a great or good deal, but what I'd call worst cause scenario which I have lived out many a time - where the amount it's cost you is the amount you'd possibly recover by selling the sum of the parts and "given enough time" and the "right buyer" and a whole lot of effort.

Joysticks are generally worth $5-10 a pop. Someone might pay $10-$15 each for the Atari XE joystick, Quickfire Turbo 2, Konix Speedking, both of which were some of the best joysticks around. The C64 racing paddles often sell for $15. Games, manuals etc before getting to the bigger items.

What interested me about the auction, although not enough to bother asking on the auction, were the three bits in the bottom left corner of the picture. I'm not sure what those few devices are. They look like things from other consoles. Can you post back what these things are please.
YetiSeti

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:05 am

YetiSeti wrote:
What interested me about the auction, although not enough to bother asking on the auction, were the three bits in the bottom left corner of the picture. I'm not sure what those few devices are. They look like things from other consoles. Can you post back what these things are please.

THats what got me going did not want to ask just incase it sent the auction even more crasy, could not work out what the one item is as the seller details are covering it, as for the thye four keypad like things they look like the connect into the item ( maybe its to allow four players rather than two on a game)
I may be daft but I cannot see in the picture more than one power supply, though there should surely be two one for the C64c and one for the disk drive.
will find out later today as I will be picking up from Penrose this afternoon.

Way I totaled it I thought
C64c maybe $50
Drive between $30 and $50 ( if it has its power pac)
8 joysticks about $5 each if they work fine.
unboxed software about $1
Boxed software should be about $10
4 books must be about $10
three or possibly 7 unknown items how long is a piece of string :lol:
WHat I will probably flick off are the joysticks as I have about 15 in a box already, not sure about the GEOS if the disk is with it may be worth keeping or flicking off on amibay as they seem to clear off there quite fast and at a resonable price , so I could come out of it with areasonable priced C64c with drive working at last.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Looking at the pic you can see two power supplies - there's one behind the computer (could be either the C64C late PSU or the 1541-II's PSU) and one to the right of the drive (looks like an Amiga power supply?!)

The button controller thing is definitely off another console, not sure what yet but I don't ever recall having anything that needed a controller with overlays for the C64!

Give us a good rundown once you get this baby home and as always sir, if you need anything at all, you know where I am.
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:19 pm

well a real mixed bag,
1 Amiga PSU
1 C64 PSU
1 Drive PSU
1 Boxed Amiga game
1 pirate copy C64 disk
3 C64 unboxed com disks
the wierd boxes turn ot to be
1 Atari Game pad with Star raiders 2 insert
2 Atari XE game system manuals
1 pad Not sure what it is yet, but the 4 insert fit nothing there.
the other thing that was covered by the listing details was a strange joystick
so one more joystick to check out ( 8 in total or 9 if you consider the padels as two items)
1 Sega computer manual
1 GEOS manual nothing with it
1 C64c with lose keys
1 disk drive.
a whole heep of cables
so now to test it.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Nicely done :)

I think I have two copies of GEOS here... will test them both, if they both work I'll throw one in a bag and get it up to you.
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 pm

THats nice let me know how much by PM.

Found out what the keypads are for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9wzt4IOOSE
pity there is only one keyboard controller , Normally sold in pairs.
as for the starraiders one will check that out on the A8 see if it will work with Star raiders ( as it should be forthe old 2600 systems)
The boxed Amiga game is Retaliator
and the C64 games original are
Megablaster Robocop
Megablaster Rambo III
Oceaan Batman
and California Games Epyx

Any one need a Sega SC3000 basic level III Operator's Manual ?

I think the Atari stuff will end up with my A8 stuff being kept, But not sure about the other stuff as the manuals all seem to refer to UK plugs with the A8 stuff be interesting once I have the C64 KB repaired whether its a UK PAL one or a NZ PAL version, if UK it will have to goto the monitor as the sound won't work on NZ PAL TV's
WelshWizard

Next

Return to Trade Me