A huge collection?

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

A huge collection?

Postby tezza on Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes, it would be good to know what's hiding in this one.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vint ... 552017.htm
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: A huge collection?

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm poking my nose in as well, I see he's mentioned Commodore 128's and an Atari 800 (not what I'm poking for but interesting nonetheless).

Just outright curious as to what he has in there and how 'huge' the collection is.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby recycled on Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Well, I think the minimum start bid on trade me is 10% of the reserve, so that makes the reserve $150.00. If it's the goldmine indicated that sounds very good. I'll go you halves on it, I have a wagon and a trailer available for us to do a pickup ;o)

But I'd like to know if there was more than just Commodore gear there. Can't wait for the photos.
recycled

Postby tezza on Fri May 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, more details are needed. The description is vauge at the moment.

For myself I'm just looking for a few very specific items as I don't have the room, time or inclination to process a load. I'd certainly like to see what's there though. It would be also interesting to know the history behind this collection. Is it from an estate, or has someone decided to sell up?
tezza
Site Admin

Postby tezza on Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Hmm..a message posted up from the seller:

"Seller Comment: PLEASE NOTE THIS AUCTION IS NOT FOR THE WHOLE LOT.one item only 8:16 pm, Fri 4 May"

I'm not sure how that's going to work as there is only one person who can win, yet there are many items?
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

lol it was for the whole lot, but after all the comments he probably changed his mind about doing a bulk lot auction.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Carcenomy on Sat May 05, 2012 12:05 am

Whoever goes to investigate, dibs a 128D ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat May 05, 2012 12:24 am

Pictures are up.

THAT IS AN IBM 5153 AND KEYBOARD
I THINK I JUST PEED A LITTLE

Also a Commodore 128D (actually wanted that, but I guess you guys do as well, so I'll stay out of it), C64C, ZX81, Ataris (including an 800XL), and more.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby YetiSeti on Sat May 05, 2012 4:53 pm

There's a few going at the moment, like :

Atari Software, Books/magazines, Hardware - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =471889180

Unfortunately for a $500 auction price, the trader doesn't seem to be inclined to go to the effort to describe the contents or photograph it. Could be just boxes of copied disks.

Of interest is the question by 'silvorne' :
This isn't the collection from the Tariland computer club days is it, or am I wrong? I would have been interested in a few items on their own if this was the case, since I remember some of what they had available to hire! silvorne (37 ) 8:28 am, Thu 3 May
Yes, I am not interested at this stage selling bits and pieces 3:00 pm, Thu 3 May

It sounds like there's quite a bit of history in the collection.

And what about trader woodnwind?!? -
Toshiba T1200 Rare Vintage 8086 Laptop Computer - http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vint ... 769241.htm

I would have skipped over this auction with a vintage laptop boldly listed at $395, but sometimes I like to look at nutters with high list prices to try figure them out. Okay, I think the Toshiba T1200 (and T1100) were fairly significant machines, but we're quite use to anything and everything of laptops on trademe going for the $50-$100 mark.

He seems to be quite a collector stating he has over 100 Toshiba laptops in his collection (and who knows what else). It is handy to know his comment in the Q&A and of prices some laptops are fetching :
Seller Comment: I recently sold a Toshiba T1200HB on eBay for US$380 and I believe that this model is more rare than that one. I believe this to be Very Good Value at the price I have it listed for. Over time it will only appreciate even more in Value. 9:27 pm, Tue 1 May

I have a couple of Toshiba laptops somewhere. Must see what they are. I liked them because everytime I see a 'T' in front of a number, I think of 'Terminator'. Maybe I should buy dr_sponge's Apple clone made by Skynet ...
YetiSeti

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I don't think he'll get $395 for his T1200 locally, but as he said he did sell one on ebay for a similar price. I talked to him on VCF a while back and have his contact details - from what he said there he has much more than just laptops too.

As for the 'huge collection auction' I'm just about to call them up.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat May 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Just got off the phone with him, when he says 'huge collection' it sounds like he is accurate.

I asked about the C64 and he said he has around ten of them for example. So there is a lot more than you see on the auction available.
He said an elderly friend had a storage shed but nobody local wanted to take the computers, he told him he could sell them for some $ but he said they could have them and if they do well out of it then so be it. Nice people, just want to make sure they get fair value for the bits.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat May 05, 2012 7:17 pm

UGH, after I got off the phone, someone clicked buy now on my special auction, so I lost the IBM 5153 + Model M.

##$*((!!!!!!
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby recycled on Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

someone clicked buy now on my special auction

Yeah, I thought I recognised your moniker on the title, I thought $500 was a bit rich, screen + keyboard. Your comment in the original auction suggested you'd pay a fair price but at $500 that's a pretty good lotto win - you're not hiding $26M somewhere? Guess I better re-think my valuation of some of the stuff I laugh at in the vintage category on Trade Me these days, someone out there must've thought it was a steal.
recycled

Postby YetiSeti on Sat May 05, 2012 7:57 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:UGH, after I got off the phone, someone clicked buy now on my special auction, so I lost the IBM 5153 + Model M.

##$*((!!!!!!

I suggested the price was too high at $500 and it was lowered a couple of times, then I saw it sold at $250 last time I looked. I don't know trademe's rules & regs, but the auction was set up for you. Perhaps it's at the trader's discretion that he might be able to sell it to you at the price if it is worth that to you as well? You have his contact details. I don't take auctions set up for other people even if I would want it myself (though I might perhaps be flexible in that rule if I thought a buyer was trying to get something far too cheap to on-sell).

Don't even recognise the buyer. People out there must have Favourites set up for searches (maybe I should too, but never have)
YetiSeti

Postby YetiSeti on Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 pm

it would appear someone has bought the whole collection.
YetiSeti

Next

Return to Trade Me