Apple IIGS. Got a box finally

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Apple IIGS. Got a box finally

Postby tezza on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Well, I've finally secured an IIGS box so now I have a full computer. I have no idea what ROM version it is, whether it works, if there is battery damage or whatever. I'm assuming it doesn't work. I do know it's got no expansion cards.

The bidding went right to my maximum. One more bid by the competition and I would have lost it. As I've mentioned before, the IIGS doesn't really excite me...but as I have the rest of the gear (including an empty case) I thought I might as well get a complete one. I might appreciate it more once I start playing with it.

I'll let you know what happens when I assemble and test it out.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Apple IIGS. Got a box finally

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm

I quite liked the IIgs. Hardly a history maker, but an Apple II with a GUI, woo :D
It's like "the little engine that could".

Fingers crossed you don't have too many dramas restoring it.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm

It's the only Apple II I want! :)

Think of it like this; it theoretically can run the whole back library of other II software, but also includes some really sharp hardware like the 65C816 CPU just like a Super Nintendo has, and that incredibly nice Ensoniq ES5503 synth chip... that's a chip with some major pedigree as essentially the true successor to the SID. It goes fast and can go even faster, it has heaps of room to upgrade...

It's the Apple that made Apple resume suing Apple!

There's names attached to the IIGS that really stand out like John Carmack, John Romero, Bob Yannes...

It's an awesome machine and has plenty to be excited about! :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Carcenomy wrote:It's an awesome machine and has plenty to be excited about! :)

:D Oh well, I'll have to rely on you guys to let me know what software and expansions options to purse. Once (or if) I can get it going. I'm picking it won't be here until early next week. I can see if it boots but as CHESS the musical opens next week and I'm in it, it might have to be after the run before I can really play with the machine.

Actually I have almost everything...disks...manuals...etc.. I have a feeling I might need one of those memory expansion cards to do it justice though. Certainly the original board I tossed had an expansion card. That had a blown IC though so it was trashed.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby gavo on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:33 pm

tezza wrote:The bidding went right to my maximum. One more bid by the competition and I would have lost it.

Bugger - now you tell me! ;-)

tezza wrote:As I've mentioned before, the IIGS doesn't really excite me...but as I have the rest of the gear (including an empty case) I thought I might as well get a complete one. I might appreciate it more once I start playing with it.

I think I've probably mentioned before that the GS doesnt really hold any sentimental appeal for me like the IIe does, to the point in fact that I actually got rid of the Woz edition I had a few years back (in the perpetual quest to free up space and time - much like Dr Who) - but now that I'm a bit more mature I realise that actually the GS is a great machine, mainly because its a fast IIe and has a bunch of expansion cards already built in - plus if you want to move into the modern computing era, its a pretty neat 16 bit machine with some nice graphics and sound (albeit a little underpowered - too bad the GS plus got canned).

Anyway, I for one will be keen to hear your thoughts on it once you have the complete system up and running.
gavo

Return to Trade Me