New (almost) aquisitions

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

New (almost) aquisitions

Postby arjoll on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 pm

It's been a busy few days for accumulating old stuff....

Last Thursday I was sorting out some issues at a client, and they asked me what they should do with an old Digital Pentium. I mentioned that waiting until the next local eDay was probably the best option, but that I'd pull the drive from it for them so they have no troubles with data - never hurts to have a few smallish drives just in case.

(BTW if anyone collects old Digitals let me know, I'm sure you'd be welcome to this one!)

Once I explained what eDay was they said they had some other stuff they'd recently discovered when clearing out a storage area, and I said I'd be happy to have a look - I've been dealing with these guys for 12+ years and was expecting some early-mid Pentiums.

Well, I got a bit of a surprise - we climbed into a dusty storage area, dodged past some beams etc and she pointed out the "old junk" - amongst the weird scientific testing stuff was a CBM Pet! I mentioned that I'd be happy to take it away, that it was probably worth a litt bit but I am more interested in preserving technology. I then noticed an old monitor in the box with a keyboard sitting against it - which turned out to be an Amstrad CPC of some description. I'll be heading back there this week in old clothes to have a good look at what else they have!

Getting home I decided to post on Facebook, seeing it was such a shock to find this gear I didn't know existed. That led to an offer of "a couple" of C64's with "over 200" disks of software. Tonight I picked up that haul - one C64C, three floppy drives (what looks like an original 1541 and some of the newer models), joysticks, paddles, cartridges. I haven't catalogued or tested everything yet, but it certainly looks like a reasonable collection - although I doubt there's 200 disks, possibly 50-70.

So it's been a big week. I still haven't picked up the Pet and Amstrad (and checked to see if there's anything more there) and I've never been a Commodore person, but it's always nice to find some forgotten old gear.

If only I could find a Spectrum 48k and BBC Model B lying around I'd be even happier....!
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Re: New (almost) aquisitions

Postby tezza on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 am

Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship with some classic gear. Let us know if it boots up! Pics would be great too! u
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm

A PET! Nice score!
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby arjoll on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Ok, as promised an initial photo, just of the C64 gear. Unsorted, still in the two boxes in the garage, but a quick look last night revealed lots of floppies, a few tapes and cartridges, a full set of VIC20 manuals (handy seeing I have one of those) and a couple of Sega cartridges!

(anyone here collect Sega stuff?)

I hope to make it out to my client tomorrow or Thursday to pick up the PET, Amstrad and see if there's anything else. The offer for the Digital Pentium still stands too if anyone wants it :D

'arjoll' on Trademe
arjoll

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 am

I've just started spending some time with my Sega gear, what'd you find?

Looks like you have a nice complete 64C setup, those 1541-IIs should give way less grief than I get with the earlier drives... at the last count I have three 1541s, two 1541Cs and a 1570. Of the lot, two of the earlier 1541s are working, and even then only after a very thorough degrease, clean up and relubrication process. Just pop the covers off and give the heads a wee clean up, and make sure that all the runners are lubricated, should be good to go!
Carcenomy

Postby tezza on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd love to see a picture of the PET when you haul it out :)
tezza
Site Admin

Postby arjoll on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Ok, popped down there late this afternoon and have had a bit of a look through what's there, and returned with a boot load - there's still a couple of boxes to go though!

At the end of this it appears I'll wind up with:
  • Commodore CBM PET 8032 with 8050 drives
  • Apple IIe (not enhanced) with two Disk IIs and a Monitor III
  • Amstrad CPC6128 with monitor
  • IBM PC with monitor, presumably PC/XT with MDA but haven't actually looked
  • A pre-PC HP - tape drive and small CRT, so probably an HP 85
  • Compaq LTE/486 with dock/base and monitor

So not a bad wee haul - I do have a photo of the pile but haven't uploaded it yet. I've got a meeting shortly so it might not be up tonight. I've just got to find room for everything now - the workshop is a disaster, so needs some serious rationalisation.
'arjoll' on Trademe
arjoll

Postby tezza on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 pm

arjoll wrote:Ok, popped down there late this afternoon and have had a bit of a look through what's there, and returned with a boot load - there's still a couple of boxes to go though!

At the end of this it appears I'll wind up with:
  • Commodore CBM PET 8032 with 8050 drives
  • Apple IIe (not enhanced) with two Disk IIs and a Monitor III
  • Amstrad CPC6128 with monitor
  • IBM PC with monitor, presumably PC/XT with MDA but haven't actually looked
  • A pre-PC HP - tape drive and small CRT, so probably an HP 85
  • Compaq LTE/486 with dock/base and monitor

That is a great haul. That is a really great haul of classic stuff. Congratulations. PET drives even!
tezza
Site Admin

Postby arjoll on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

I promised photos - unfortunately the one I took of all the gear in situ isn't on my phone, stupid Defy must have crashed about then! I have taken some very quick snaps of what's in the garage - nothing is unpacked, and I doubt I'll have time in the next wee while, but I can't just leave you all in suspense!

At a guess the newest thing there (the Compaq LTE) has been stored this way since 2000 (there's a sticker saying it was ok then), and the other stuff much, much longer. I've still got to pick up the Compaq monitor, HP, IBM and all the disks etc.

The Amstrad CPC6128 and colour monitor:

The Commodore 8032 and 8050 (with a view of the Disk II's):

Looking under the drives you can see the Apple IIe:

The Compaq LTE in its dock, in a rubbish bag:

Finally a box of monitors, haven't taken out the Monitor III which is sitting on its face on top of the IBM, so not sure what condition its in or which model of IBM - I have a PGC out in the workshop, somehow I doubt I've got a 5175 though:
'arjoll' on Trademe
arjoll

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Oooooooh, the 8032 is goooooooorgeous! I'm jealous! :)
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 am

Oh god, so much goodness. Excellent find.

Are you going to restore/keep or test and sell? Because there is some nice goodies in there and I drueled a little.

Can't wait to see how they go when you get them plugged in (if you do).
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby arjoll on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm

At the moment the plan is restore/keep, but I may be passing on some of the smaller bits or stuff that doesn't match (like the Sega stuff). I also see there's some cards amongst the software, so if there's anything interesting but not useful to me there I'll probably move it on.

I picked up the balance today - the HP 85 (with RAM expansion and a ROM tray), a Commodore 3032 printer, IBM PC 5150 :D with model M keyboard and various disks etc.

Unfortunately the only tape for the 85 was in it, and there are no 3" disks to go with the Amstrad - they were probably thrown away in a clear out some years ago (apparently there have been skiploads of old gear dumped over the years, so I shudder to think what else has gone).

'arjoll' on Trademe
arjoll

Postby arjoll on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 pm

One last thing - there is what appears to be a programmable calculator with tape drive and printer there - it's not really of any interest to me, but would anyone like to save it? If so I'll grab it and if you can arrange pickup or freight you can have it. Donations of Spectrums and BBCs appreciated ;) but not necessary. Not sure of the brand, but anyone who's into this stuff would know. If it was a Monroe 1880 I might be tempted!

'arjoll' on Trademe
arjoll

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 pm

heh.. and another one of those HP85's show up. (one of those was a bit of a headache for some people on here a while back. :)

I'll be really interested to see if that goes.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Some nice machines there. I'm looking forward to hearing progress as you gradually restore them. Keep us informed! :)
tezza
Site Admin

Next

Return to General