Remembering DOOM

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

Re: Remembering DOOM

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Carcenomy wrote:T6 was Soundblaster 16 and above I believe.

This lists the other T settings.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Harvey on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Doom was not a favourite game of mine - although I do acknowledge how groundbreaking it was, when it appeared. I did play a lot of Castle Wolfenstein - although that may not have been it's name? ie. the game prior to Doom, against Nazis...

I do remember Andrew Bradfield being right into it, and later first person shooters. Although violence in previous computer games, etc did not bother me, much at all - I did like playing the Tekken series, and the Streetfighter II series, etc etc - and all the spacey shooters -- somehow I was not into going around and shooting at things, etc etc with various guns, etc etc. I'd guess that kind of violence is a little too personal, and getting to be more and more realistic - and somehow my consciousness, etc etc does not want to be involved with that. That seems to be how I rationalise my growing decline in playing computer arcade games - plus I have played literally many hundreds of videogames on the Atari 800, C64, SNES, Megadrive, Lynx, Nintendo 64, Atari Jaguar, Playstation, Saturn, PC, NeoGeo and Dreamcast --- 6 of these consoles I had a loan of... So you do get to be burned out after playing so many.
I know that Andrew tired/had gone off the arcade games - because they get rather too samey in gameplay - and he switched over to playing more in the way of RPGs, simulations and 3-D games, etc. He was into Quake II, and designed his own environment in that.. He was into the car racing simulations - and he did that in real life - purchased a faster and faster car and became more competent in his driving... etc.

Harvey
Harvey

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:26 am

You're thinking of Wolfenstein 3D. I install it as a demo piece for any 286/386 machines as it has decent graphics (for the period) and fairly good sound/music. It wasn't the first 3D first person game but it was certainly the first good one. In those days at home I was limited to EGA at home, so no Wolf for me. But fond memories of putting the school's PS/2 286 to good use :) and later visited friends for Doom on their 486's (and we had a class with a Deskpro 4/33 yey!).
Quake was my biggest FPS time-consumer when I finally got a new machine.

However now those games just can't keep my attention, despite my fondness for them.

Also I went from FPS and moved on to car racing games too, and like the man in your story, went on to do that in real life as well (still have the car in my garage). I remember spending an entire weekend with a friend playing The Need for Speed fighting for the best lap times.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby kevman3d on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:07 am

Old thread, I know, but thought some of you might be interested in a great video conference presentation about Id software by John Romero and Tom Hall about how the whole game came around from the early developments of Wolfenstein. Fascinating stuff for those into the more development and design side of the game, as well as hearing about the companies history.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014627/Classic-Game-Postmortem
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Paul on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 am

I watched that entire video - a lot of detail there. Advanced stuff for the time with 486s being the state of the art in hardware but the DOS extender would have maxed out the possible performance.
Doom and Doom 2 were my favorite games in the past, two of the few that I fully played through.
Paul

Postby tezza on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Nice. Thanks for posting!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Paul on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 am

Looks like Doom 3 is being released for game consoles next month. It includes the earlier versions.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/doom-3-bfg ... pc-6379020
Paul

Postby Carcenomy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Doom3 was already available on game consoles. Probably a more accurate statement would be, Doom3 being released with feature parity to the PC version. Doom3 on the original Xbox was a... hmm... 'limited' experience.

But don't worry, everyone gets benefits. Many pieces of modern id technology are going into the BFG version so even us WIndows users reap them.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby Trevcharl on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 am

I played Doom quite a lot, but there was another game we could play on the intranet, and that was descent. During our lunch hour we would log in, and play against each other. At that time I was close to my 50's and I gave myself the name "Rambler". The other players were all youngsters in their late 20's, and I was quite good, one has to program the keys so that your fingers dont leave the keyboard. One thing I practiced was to fly around my enemy, my guns trained on him, and also moving up and down, so a third party would miss when he fired. One could also avoid missiles by flying towards them and at the last moment move out of the way.

Well after 30 minutes I was shaking from the efforts, and had to take a coffee break to calm down again. (We had 486 PC's) and we had just moved from Arcnet to Ethernet networks. I see on "The gadget" show from the UK, the guy's that played some fast games, made their blood pressure and heart rate rise incredibly, so I guess if you are getting on in years, then play something less stressful.
Trevcharl.
Trevcharl

Postby tezza on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:35 am

Trevcharl wrote:Well after 30 minutes I was shaking from the efforts, and had to take a coffee break to calm down again. (We had 486 PC's) and we had just moved from Arcnet to Ethernet networks. I see on "The gadget" show from the UK, the guy's that played some fast games, made their blood pressure and heart rate rise incredibly, so I guess if you are getting on in years, then play something less stressful.
Trevcharl.

LOL. Yes, I remember Descent too. I never became skilled at it, but it reminds me now of those tunnels and ships in the Matrix.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:55 pm

To this day we run Descent at the LAN parties down here. The DXX-Rebirth project has resulted in a modernized, TCP/IP capable engine that's properly timed and has proper 3D acceleration. It's just as good multiplayer as it was back then still :)
Carcenomy

Postby manuka on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 pm

One of my xmas projects this year is to finish building up an old toshiba laptop with '98SE for playing old games. I've got one but the screen resolution is 1084x768 so I run into a few issues with certain games which don't like screens bigger than 800x600. I've got a couple to take home to try out which have both 800x600 screen and a PSU plug for a mouse so I don't have to worry about any USB issues. Have been playing Dune lately Doom is defiantly on my list of game to get although I think I'm going to find it difficult to fill the 30GB hard drive
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Yeesh, the opposite of the problem I have with my iBook. It can't do more than 800x600 which makes using it for anything other than playing Oregon Trail a real chore.
Carcenomy

Previous

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming