New old stock 5.25 inch DSHD disks available

Please post details of what you have to sell, swap or to give away

New old stock 5.25 inch DSHD disks available

Postby falco on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi - I have ten unopened boxes of generic 5.25 inch DSHD disks available. Despite being generic, I seem to recall they're OK quality. Thought I'd offer them here to see if anyone can use them before putting them on TradeMe. Make an offer, they have to go, getting in the way. There's another box or three of them as well, name brands and also unused, but the boxes have been opened (I think). If I get a chance I'll take some photos, but there's not much to see; they come in the original cardboard outer as well.
If anyone wants to pick up, the location is Onehunga, Auckland.
falco

Re: New old stock 5.25 inch DSHD disks available

Postby WelshWizard on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm

How much please?
WelshWizard

Postby falco on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 pm

No idea really - this is why I usually list things on TradeMe starting at $1. I'm happy to listen to any offers, my preference would be to dispose of the whole lot at once (something like 120 disks). They're currently sitting on the roof of my Mini, which is not very convenient at all. Anyone have any ideas what they're worth?
falco

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Well, funnily enough... without a really good history of how they've been stored, it's hard to say what they're worth.

Mould is your enemy. Unopened boxes can be worse than opened, especially as no-one usually wants to deflower that lovely shrink wrap to examine them... :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby falco on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 am

Strange, the only disks I've had with mould problems have been the opened ones (pretty common), the sealed NOS DSDD ones have been completely mould-free, though some haven't worked anyway mainly due to binder failure I think. These have been stored in my basement for years, quite dry under there. I don't really want to put a great deal of effort into selling these as I doubt they're worth much, will see how it goes then decide what to do with them.
falco

Postby Gibsaw on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah, I think we're just getting to that point in the age of things where it becomes more of a problem. I've seen PLENTY of mouldy disks that look fine, and brand new in their packs until you rotate them and have a look.

What I really suggest is to open one of the new 10-packs and have a good examination of both sides of the disks. (Gently rotate the disc using the centre ring. If they're mouldy you'll definitely see it.)

It should only take a few minutes to examine 10 and then you'll be able to say what the situation is. No-one who buys them is going to criticise that one pack was opened to examine condition.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Return to Vintage Items Available