My latest score at the dump, Canola L121, Win95, & WinNt

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

My latest score at the dump, Canola L121, Win95, & WinNt

Postby matsondawson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm

All for $5
The calculator dates to 1971 and uses Nixi tubes, still all working fine.
The windows installs are still sealed in package.

matsondawson

Re: My latest score at the dump, Canola L121, Win95, & WinNt

Postby tezza on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Very nice. Did you notice them when you were disposing of something, or do you have a friendly someone there who will keep an eye out for these things?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby matsondawson on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Me and the missus visit the dump every week for a look see.
Some days I'm lucky, usually once every 2-3 months.
It's better in Winter for some reason.
matsondawson

Postby YetiSeti on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 pm

matsondawson wrote:Me and the missus visit the dump every week for a look see.
Some days I'm lucky, usually once every 2-3 months.

I've looked every weekend for the last 6 years. Don't think I've found a computer in the last few years. At once place there's a computer recycle bin and everything goes in there and you're not allowed to buy anything out of it. Some time ago I saw a Sega SC-3000 and SF-7000 box full which I wasn't allowed. I called where it was going to but they said they never got it. Coincidentally I got a similar package a couple of weeks later on trademe from a guy locally who pulled it out of his shed and knew nothing about it all. The tip back then said a lot of stuff just walked from the bins as they were open and on the outside and easy to get to after hours. I hate coincidences.

The other tip store, which is the only one where I buy (no-so-computer related) things every weekend is a bit of a goldmine for finding anything and everything else. For an ideas person/hoarder like me it's just full of interesting things that will find a use one day. The dealers make a living off the place just driving around the block in circles to get things to re-sell. Everything is dropped off without going through sorting rooms (unlike the Salvation Army, which I've never seen anything that closely ressembles an antique or something of value) and it's always cheap.

I wouldn't take a Win95 distribution, but if I ever saw a Windows ME I would grab one of those.
YetiSeti

Postby Carcenomy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:46 pm

That '95 looks like it's new enough to be later in the OSR livespan, 2.1/2.5, somewhere around there. Which means it's got USB support and IE4 rolled in, among other things.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 pm

By USB support, you mean it'll acknowledge that there is USB... don't expect anything to work. :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Gibsaw wrote:By USB support, you mean it'll acknowledge that there is USB... don't expect anything to work. :)

Rose tinted glasses dude ;)
We'll just gloss over the fact it could barely use USB at all... even 98's USB support was pretty mediocre :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I've got a couple of machines with Windows 95 OSR2 where the USB actually works well, but too scared to format them because I know the OEM must've put some serious magic sauce in the install.

I popped by Trash Palace today, got a few lovely gems. A very early model Quickshot for the PC (looks similar to the old PCjr joystick), another 5.25" disk box, some unused floppies (3.5), and a couple of Toshiba's (can't help myself). Another Tecra Pentium (240V) and a 486SLC 33 T1910CS - both are working, just need new CMOS batteries. Had to hunt for an 18V power supply for the T1910CS but turns out the 16V unit for my back massager did the trick lol

Tecra has Windows 95, T1910CS has Windows 3.1 - both have all the original Toshiba tools so I suspect original installs. T1910 also had a 4Mb memory expansion (8Mb total) which was a nice find. Batteries are present but dead on both units.

Appears to be another Powerbook at the bottom of one pile, and I found 3 486 AT style power supplies and more joysticks etc. Didn't spot any new software boxes and I think I ran off with the oldest laptop. The laptop stock does seem to be getting regularly refreshed though. I never see vintage desktops, I hope they don't get immediately binned :S
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Went there today to look for house items to tart up my place for cheap.

Came home with a VIC20 + datasette + Introduction to Basic Part 2 boxed with tapes.
Nice random score - $13 all up.

Laptops are looking very thin only abot 5 or so left now.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Return to General