New Website under development

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

New Website under development

Postby machinecoder on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:13 pm

On a more serious note:

Im thinking of developing a website containing among other things, Pinouts for vintage CPU's, Video Processors, RAMs, ICs, motherboard circuit diagrams and repair tips etc for vintage computers (the type you guys (and girl) collect)

It could have for example an upload dialog for submission of new material.

lately I have been looking for pinouts only having to spend ages, going to sites, finding they show up in google no matter what IC you search, but they dont actually have the pinout when you click on as its just a clever trick to boost there google PR... 16 trys later I find it.

I dont think it would be to hard to create a data base of old IC's specificy relative to the vintage computers we collect as many of them use the same RAMs for example.

It could be set up so you click on a link on the left column and then all the ICs contained within the computer come up in a list and then you just click on that and instantly get what you want.

There would be plenty of links tailered for vintage computers and who knows what else.

got any comments;
Last edited by machinecoder on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
machinecoder

Re: New Website under development

Postby tezza on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm

machinecoder wrote:It could be set up so you click on a link on the left column and then all the ICs contained within the computer come up in a list and then you just click on that and instantly get what you want.

Something like that would be useful. I usually just look for the datasheets via google and can't always find them. It would be a lot of work but laudable.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby recycled on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

I would also second the creation of such a site. Same complaint you have about searching for Datasheets, however, many still seem to be actively sold from various websites! Naughty me, I keep searching until I get 'em for free. Knowing of one simple free location would save a lot of effort!

Probably individual tastes towards specific brands mean we by now have very decent collections of known good data sources for our systems as individuals, so it's very likely you'll be swamped with links if you are 'foolish' enough ;o) to go public with your idea. It sounds like it would be a great community site.

It could be as big a resource as Microsoft, only useful.
recycled

Postby machinecoder on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

If you mean 'hot-linking' directly to files,

Have already developed and tested the code to prevent hot-linking to files, trying to hot-link just sends the person to the homepage, also the files are in a 'secret' dynamically changing folder. right click/properties doesnt show the actual URL also.

Same for the images, and if you try to 'frame' the site, it breaks out of the frame.

Im well aware of exploits. :wink:

They layout is three column CSS based layout, there is a page view counter, hit counters etc.

This is my first attempt at writing a webpage so it will take me 2-3 months to develop, (slow as lava flow)
Last edited by machinecoder on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
machinecoder

Postby kevman3d on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I'd like to see a central place to also find tutorials on how to repair for complete electronic-illiterate people (ie. last time I did anything with Electronics would have been in the 80's with some David Reid electronic project kits) to show step-by-step tips on commonly known issues and their repairs for different brands and hardware. I'd be more then happy to play with a soldering iron and hardware if I knew what I was supposed to do in the first place. :roll:

I figure there's a wealth of knowledge in this community - That said, I haven't exactly gone out of my way to search for existing tutorials online. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby tezza on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

There are some guides around on how to fix common faults with SOME computers. I know of some for the Commodore Vic20/c64 and baby macs and I'm sure there are others. You are right, there is a lot of knowledge out there. Some forums such as the Vintage Computer Forums have wikis and "stickies" which deal with common problems.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby manuka on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

machinecoder wrote:They layout is three column CSS based layout, there is a page view counter, hit counters etc.

This is my first attempt at writing a webpage so it will take me 2-3 months to develop, (slow as lava flow)

In one of my former lives I was a website designer so if you do need to bounce any ideas of anyone, send me a pm
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Return to General