Just grabbed a Speccy off trade me - $10 - maybe not working

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Just grabbed a Speccy off trade me - $10 - maybe not working

Postby kevman3d on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Sorry - just posting because I am chuffed to finally see something that wasn't asking the usual "collectable" price tag on Trademe.

I just grabbed a 48k ZX Spectrum off Trademe for $10 (Buy Now price, surprisingly). The description said that it didn't work and that its the keyboard membrane. There was mention that the seller has no idea if there's any issues with the internals and its not tested, but I'll definitely annoy you all for advice if there is I'm sure. I have no idea how to fix these things, but I know the expertise is here. :wink: Lets hope its only the membrane that's the issue - and I'll be double-chuffed that it only cost $10.

Anyway, that's my happy rant of the week so apologies for the post - and the fact I've never contemplated grabbing any more stuff and expected to live with my childhood hoard under the house. Roll on my current possibly-from-hoarding-to-cheap-collecting midlife crisis. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: Just grabbed a Speccy off trade me - $10 - maybe not working

Postby tezza on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 pm

kevman3d wrote:Anyway, that's my happy rant of the week so apologies for the post - and the fact I've never contemplated grabbing any more stuff and expected to live with my childhood hoard under the house. Roll on my current possibly-from-hoarding-to-cheap-collecting midlife crisis. :lol:

LOL! Well done. Hopefully it is just the membrane. Replacement ones can be sourced fairly easily.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby YetiSeti on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 pm

The case is in pretty good condition externally so with a new keyboard membrane it will be a good example. I saw it when it was listed. Was hoping it would go to someone on here. There's the odd item I've Buy Now'd just so some of the more mercenary (no, not me, I'm more like a Chuck Norris trained ninja) relisters don't get them.
YetiSeti

Postby kevman3d on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:42 pm

YetiSeti wrote:The case is in pretty good condition externally so with a new keyboard membrane it will be a good example. I saw it when it was listed. Was hoping it would go to someone on here. There's the odd item I've Buy Now'd just so some of the more mercenary (no, not me, I'm more like a Chuck Norris trained ninja) relisters don't get them.

Yah, I was pleased to find one that I could actually afford, and it'll be nice to have an original case (and of course a second Speccy). I'll dig out the old DK'tronics one some time soon and test that it also works (or not). Now the Atari's alive, it seems right to now bring the other kid upstairs... (Shhh! Don't tell my wife) :D

I've been watching eBay auctions for gear as well - some people are selling great gear, but of course converting pounds to US$ (Paypal) it becomes pretty pricey. There there's the bargains with $19 - $29 "buy now" for stuff which is tempting - until you see that "Delivery to New Zealand = US$120". Always gotta keep your eyes on those dodgy catch-outs... :roll:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Got it today - Its pretty clean, a little scraping on the back of the case around the TV and tape ports, and the metal cover over the keyboards got some very minor bends along the front of it (looks like from being wedged up with a screw driver - but nothing extreme, just looks a little "bumpy"). Its stuck on enough to not fall off, and its nice to not have to slice my fingers trying to pull it off myself (just peels off). The only key that's worn is the Symbol shift, but everything's in relatively good nick...

The description was right about the membrane - its actually been ripped so its a right off. Once I get downstairs and dig out the power supply (if I get home early tomorrow, otherwise the weekend), I'll plug it in to see if it fires up at least. Then I'll get a new membrane for it if all's good. While I get that PS, I'll probably also drag up the other one (and a bunch of peripherals) and just tell the wife "I need to test them both, just in case its the power supply that's faulty... Honest..." :lol:

Here's a couple of piccies of it - just cause I took some at work after educating some of my coworkers who've never seen an 80's computer and thought I was kidding when I said it was a complete computer - "No, its not just a keyboard - its a whole computer. Yes, 48 *kilobytes* of RAM - No, its not me being silly. Yes, its smaller then your last email." :roll:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mx2fqnq9t9v3ju/Speccy.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqtxijdr3thf480/speccy_KB.jpg
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:24 pm

kevman3d wrote:Once I get downstairs and dig out the power supply (if I get home early tomorrow, otherwise the weekend), I'll plug it in to see if it fires up at least. Then I'll get a new membrane for it if all's good. While I get that PS, I'll probably also drag up the other one (and a bunch of peripherals) and just tell the wife "I need to test them both, just in case its the power supply that's faulty... Honest..." :lol:

Well, I ordered a new membrane before I tested it anyway - Today I tested it - the machine gets to the black screen at boot, but doesn't get to the Copyright message. Anybody got any ideas? I've also posted up in the Restoration forum here this same thing with a little more description in the hope somebody here has any suggestions. The other Speccy is actually worse, though its been stored in fairly bad conditions over the years so that's mostly expected and my own fault. :(
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to General