Canada was the place to be in March for buying gear...

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Canada was the place to be in March for buying gear...

Postby kevman3d on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:20 pm

...for this lucky guy at least. I trolled the forum posting below - Bought 2 truck loads of old computer gear, and has pages and pages of photo's of his stash. Walls of monitors, consoles, AppleII's, commodores, pong consoles (yes, pong TV games), and the list goes on (and on and on). Its enough to make me cry... Worth a look just to see a load of amazing gear... Gotta say I'm seriously jealous... :shock:

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/forum/vie ... =13&t=3353
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: Canada was the place to be in March for buying gear...

Postby WelshWizard on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 pm

It will take months to sort that lot out, and for only $2500 can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Right now I am asking $2500 for everything computer related, about two large truckloads; I sold the farm.

You ought to come and look for yourself.

I am retired, so anytime is a good time."
WelshWizard

Postby tezza on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes, lots of great gear Kev but this kind of "bargain" can be a double-edged sword. There is a cost in such things.

For me, if I was suddenly GIVEN (let alone had to pay for) all those machines I'd see it as a problem. The storage required, the transport, the work in sorting it out, and passing them along. I'd find it very stressful.

On the other hand, if I was retired, had some large empty well insulated sheds, knew friends with trucks that owed me a favour and had all the time in the world I'd probably think differently. Even so, most of what I see there I wouldn't be interested in.

You can see bulk "take all or nothing" offers like this from time to time even on Trade Me. For me, I' prefer (and am prepared to pay for) a nicely cleaned up, working example of a model I want. Just the one computer and no more. Then I've got nothing to dispose of.

But that's me. Each to his own and one man's (or woman's) junk is another's treasure as they say.... :)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 pm

lol! You don't have to tell me about lack of storage space - I've got none here as it is... Which is why most stuff is in plastic covered containers under the house (not the most ideal) and the 3 machines are now balanced on top of a printer in my computer room (since there's nowhere else to put them, well, no space in the house that my wife will allow me put them that is). :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to General