Freighting overseas - any experiences?

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Freighting overseas - any experiences?

Postby gavo on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:24 am

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience sending retro computing bits overseas with a freighting company? If so, what company did you use, what were the costs like and how was the overall expereince?

I'm thinking about shipping an Apple Lisa to the UK but am nervous about how I'd have to pack it for it to arrive safely, how much care these companies take etc etc

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
gavo

Re: Freighting overseas - any experiences?

Postby tezza on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Gavin,

I’m also interested in people’s experiences. I haven’t had any experience sending computers overseas (yet) but I have received computers from abroad.

Packing is crucial. You have to pack it well enough to survive being dropped from at least 1.5 meters because there is a good chance it will be. It WILL also be bashed by other freight and freight trolleys etc. Screens are particularly vunerable. I've heard many horror stories!

I’ve received two items so far…both arrived intact and undamaged. The first was a monitor. It was packed in a “box within a box” with Styrofoam chips and plenty of bubble wrap tucked around it and between the boxes.

The second was a TRS-80 Model IV (Yay!) which arrived last week. This was completely cocooned in bubble wrap and also completely cushioned from blows outside by strategically placed larger impact plastic packing “bubbles” all around the unit. This seemed to do the job. There was a huge dent in the box where it had received an impact from something, but the computer was ok. I must admit, seeing the damage to the box I expected to see a wrecked machine inside. I was pleasantly surprised. Kudos to the sender!

It never hurts to overpack even if it means a larger box. Better to pay extra for dimensions than deal with the blame-game that can result when something arrives damaged in transit.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 pm

I inquired in Pack & Send some time ago when I thought I would try find a cheaper than courier service. I didn't find it, but just looking online again now I see they have an 'Arts & Antiques' category. There may be some tips in there, or they may be the service. I'd rather pass on the cost of a third party to also pass on the liability (if it does, that is) : http://www.packsend.co.nz/
YetiSeti

Postby gavo on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks guys.

I've just had a look at Pack & Send - the foam-in-place option looks interesting!

Tez, those are useful hints! I've not sent or received anything substantial offshore so its good to know that the reality is not a lot of care is going to be taken with standard shipping.
gavo

Postby YetiSeti on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm

gavo wrote:the foam-in-place option looks interesting!

Yes, I quite thought the results may be inspired by and similar to the class three carbon-freezing chamber of Star Wars Episode V. "It's the safest way to post your goods intergalactically".
YetiSeti

Return to General