Tiny VGA CRT?

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Tiny VGA CRT?

Postby xjas on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Anyone know of/have a tiny CRT that accepts VGA signals (or can be easily adapted to do so?) Like REALLY small, 9" or less would be cool. I have a 5.5" composite video monitor but it only handles PAL/NTSC signals, would love something similar that can do VGA (i.e. 31.5 kHz horizontal.)

I had one of the cheap VGA-PAL converters that are all over Trademe, but I had to return it as it was faulty... Not really convinced those could handle every VGA signal like mode-x or tweakmodes anyway.

(I have my DOS comp set up on an LCD monitor at the moment but I've found occasional video modes it can't handle - not for any technical reason but because Compaq were too lazy to write the firmware properly - so I'm looking for a little CRT to use as a backup that I could switch to when it goes 'out of range'.)
xjas

Re: Tiny VGA CRT?

Postby xjas on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

(Just bumping this because I edited an old thread rather than starting a new one.)
xjas

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 am

I don't have one, but I'll give you a nudge on where to find this kind of thing.

Look for old industrial equipment, or failing that... older broadcast/film/tv multi-spec "monitors". The word monitor implies really a more PAL/NTSC device oriented for video rushes/editing in this case, but a lot of these formerly-very-f**ing-expensive little sony monitors are all surplus to requirements now that PAL is almost dead and everyone films in at least HD, if not 4K.

It's not a traditional computer monitor, but they're often VGA capable as well as various component ins, and usually high quality to boot.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Shayde on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Gibsaw wrote:...and everyone films in at least HD, if not 4K.

It appears our local news programs are still recorded in low-def. You'd think everyone would record in HD these days, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Shayde

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Shayde wrote:
Gibsaw wrote:...and everyone films in at least HD, if not 4K.

It appears our local news programs are still recorded in low-def. You'd think everyone would record in HD these days, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

They're certainly recorded in low integrity... :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Shayde on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Gibsaw wrote:They're certainly recorded in low integrity... :)

Are we talking about the recorded stream or the reporters? :lol:
Shayde

Return to Vintage Items Wanted