Trademe not showing right number of results

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Trademe not showing right number of results

Postby xjas on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Does anyone else get this problem? On my office desktop I've been having issues with Firefox under-representing the number of listings for some time. Right now it shows 26 under 'vintage computers' for example. Opera used to show the correct number on the same machine (i.e. was fine for the better part of a year) but now for some reason has started doing the same thing.

On my laptop with Safari I can see 185 listings in that category.

I've tried clearing the caches, history, etc. The only thing that seems to 'reset' the problem is logging out of TM and logging back in.

It apparently only happens on this one computer. Never had a problem with any other machine, including my home system which runs the same OS with the same browsers.
xjas

Re: Trademe not showing right number of results

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Meh.. TM's search is always horribly inconsistent.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I only find 178 listing, but what I have found is Trade Me keeps defaulting to local, so I have to reset it all the time to all New Zealand.
WelshWizard

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19 am

Your browser isn't responsible for the listing count. But it is responsible for storing the cookies - which trademe uses to re-apply your filter settings.
So if you click "Christchurch" to limit your results, it'll remember it for next time.

When you view the category, make sure it's not set to "Christchurch" or similar, and check the other filters "buy now only" etc etc.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby xjas on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am

My filter seems to be set to 'all regions' at the moment... next time it pops up I'll have a look though. It definitely seems to be a cookie issue from TM's end. I figured out logging out & back in (or clearing the cookie) seems to correct it temporarily but it just happens again an hour afterwards. Just strange that it always happened on Firefox but never used to happen on Opera until recently. I wonder if they changed cookie handling in an update and unknowingly triggered the bug.

Nobody tests ANYTHING for compatibility with Opera+Linux. Life of a contrarian. :P
xjas

Return to Trade Me