Dreamer

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Dreamer

Postby caluser2000 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 pm

The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Re: Dreamer

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Well he is always driving the prices up, so maybe he thinks there are more out there like him!
WelshWizard

Postby mrad01 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm

When I saw dreamer, I thought you might be referring to this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-656760490.htm
mrad01

Postby caluser2000 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

WelshWizard wrote:Well he is always driving the prices up, so maybe he thinks there are more out there like him!
Seems to have lost out to some serious bidders lately. The kb does have a funky key colour combo.
A Din to mini Din adapter plus http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peri ... 671150.htm would do the same job and be as useful.
caluser2000

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 pm

mrad01 wrote:When I saw dreamer, I thought you might be referring to this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-656760490.htm

That's what sprung to mind for me as well. I remember some selling a couple of Mac Plusses for $10 each on Trade Me only a couple of years ago.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby kevman3d on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 pm

caluser2000 wrote:Seems to have lost out to some serious bidders lately.

I think you have it completely wrong - well, that's if you can believe the quotes on his TM profile description... lol! :roll:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:01 am

That provides a giggle alright. Legend in his own lunch box ;) Nice to see x86 stuff being appreciated.
caluser2000

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:38 am

I bought about two boxes worth last year for stuff all, just because their was a single XT keyboard in it.
If anyone needed one locally I'd just be like 'help yourself'. I got a more period appropriate Philips AT for $3ish at Trash Palace.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was sent a letter by rturner about some of the comments on this forum. He feels he’s being unfairly targeted by some members.

My initial though was Mr Turner was being a little overly-sensitive given some of his own public comments on Trade Me (“little-boys trousers comes to mind”). On further reflection though, I’ve decided it is worth putting my Administrator’s hat on and making a few comments regarding these concerns as they don’t just apply to rturner, but any other VC trader we might wish to comment on.

People are free to list and bid how they like on Trade Me. Other people (i.e. those on this forum) also have the right to comment on listings, prices and biddings. I do myself. The whole purpose of the Trade Me section is to make it a space for discussion without the restrictive nature of the “questions and answer” format of Trade Me bid comments. Some of our forum discussions are critical of certain behaviour. I don’t have a problem with that in most cases. However, there is a point where this criticism can, in its frequency and tone, start to appear like an on-going personal attack.

Postings poking fun at Traders and their idiosyncrasies can seem harmless enough but the NZ Vintage Computer Forums is a public forum. It might feel that we are in a bar talking among ourselves but actually the whole world can read what we say. You’ll be surprised just how many people view these forums who are not members. A good rule of thumb is not to post anything you wouldn't say to a person face to face. I’d ask members to think about this when using the forums.

Incidentally, rturner’s letter to me was courteous and respectful. Bear in mind that rturner does have an interest in Vintage computers and might well be a member of this forum sometime in the future.

Ok, I've made my point. Now back to our regular programming…</Admin Mode Off>
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:11 pm

The price of the kb has dropped from the original $100, so my initial post actually had an effect non the less. It's still well above market value regardless.
caluser2000

Postby kevman3d on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks Terry. :)

Bear in mind that rturner does have an interest in Vintage computers and might well be a member of this forum sometime in the future.

It would be good if rturner did join this forum, as I'm sure getting involved in discussions over other vintage topics would be good to help disperse the negative connotations that have built up through his perceived TM behavior (not helped by his profile comments that appear to be written to aggravate others). He may have a lot of valuable insight that some of us could benefit from given how much he seems to buy , and therefore likely has in his collection.

Its very easy to judge someone through their online actions, but its just as easy to mis-judge the real person. Of course, I'm trying to keep an open mind when I say that... But I guess that'll be up to him to hopefully consider. He's obviously reading this forum... Being part of it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone with the same passion to connect with others. :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Badgering a TM trader to break up a collection numerous times, against a families wishes, from an estate sale didn't do any favours. That particular auction did quite well in the end.

KBs down to a more reasonable price.
caluser2000

Postby tezza on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm

kevman3d wrote:Thanks Terry. :)

Bear in mind that rturner does have an interest in Vintage computers and might well be a member of this forum sometime in the future.

It would be good if rturner did join this forum, as I'm sure getting involved in discussions over other vintage topics would be good to help disperse the negative connotations that have built up through his perceived TM behavior (not helped by his profile comments that appear to be written to aggravate others). He may have a lot of valuable insight that some of us could benefit from given how much he seems to buy , and therefore likely has in his collection.

Its very easy to judge someone through their online actions, but its just as easy to mis-judge the real person. Of course, I'm trying to keep an open mind when I say that... But I guess that'll be up to him to hopefully consider. He's obviously reading this forum... Being part of it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone with the same passion to connect with others. :D

Yes, I agree.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby acsi on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Whilst I agree with this I can't help but also remember the negative comments from a certain someone about several of my auctions in the past. Not just on my own auctions but also negative references to my auctions on another person's auction as well.

This being said I have purchased some of his so called junk (his description from his TM profile) and had no issue's. In fact I recommend him as a seller.

As for price, if it's too high it won't sell and the price usually (but not always) gets reduced after a few attempts.
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Return to Trade Me